Thread: The Bermianese Republics

Default The Bermianese Republics

Hi everyone!

Here is my first project, a regional and global map for a low-fantasy world based on 15th-16th century Europe.
    Especially for the second map, i tried to give it some kind of renaissance\early modern feeling (hence the description in a terrible, terrible Latin)

edit: turns out it was not finished after all, when i first posted it.
    I followed some of the advice i received, adding some details, a legend, and making the transition from the lowlands to the highlands much smoother.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bermia_complete.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	81623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mappaSFB politica.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	5.14 MB 
ID:	79899  
    Last edited by Nikephoros; 03-27-2016 at 09:56 AM.

Hi there Nikephoros, welcome to the Guild! Thanks for sharing. I'd say that you are off to a wonderful start. I especially like the Known World map. Here is some constructive criticism for you though:

• Transitions between the shading of lowlands and highlands could be a lot smoother - right now the transition is pretty abrupt. I'd spend some time working on blending colors rather than simply applying a gaussian blur;
    • The town/city icon used in your first and second map is really fuzzy. Ideally these should be clear. I'd work on first getting the line work correct and then seeing to it that you paint within that linework, not overlapping it;
    • The aged parchment effect you've aplied to the borders fo the thrid map could also have been better blended to make a smooth transition between light and dartk.

That said, nice work. Also, I like your Icon avatar.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks for the comments!
    This kind of constructive criticisim is exactly why i posted my things here.
    I have already changed the city brush to a simple white dot. Ideally, to mark my cities i wanted to do something like THIS (at the Vatican Museums), but i found it very hard to achieve in Gimp.

Sorry for double-posting, i just wanted to bump the thread and hear your opinion on the newer version of the map.
    If you feel it's necessary, you can move this discussion to the in-progress section.

Holy screaming sheep s*** those maps are damn impressive Nikephoros, well done, what program did you use?

Amazing maps, can see that you did the same little trick as I tend to do with twisting random place-names from various countries. I found a few names of my home

Quote Originally Posted by Kargan3033 View Post
    Holy screaming sheep s*** those maps are damn impressive Nikephoros, well done, what program did you use?
    Thanks! I used GIMP, and the meny tutorials i found in this forum. Without them, I doubt I would have been able to draw a straight line!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickon View Post
    Amazing maps, can see that you did the same little trick as I tend to do with twisting random place-names from various countries. I found a few names of my home
    Well, it's a map inspired by both a mod for the videogame Mount&Blade, and by the history of Eurasia.
    Did you find your town in the Haelmar Union?

No just my county and a few towns/cities