Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2016 Challenge: Azanulbizar

Guild Artisan

Default February 2016 Challenge: Azanulbizar

This has been a long time that I was thinking of doing something in the Middle Earth and this could be the opportunity.
    I didn't want to do something that has been done hundred times but something that would be both important for the ME history, challenging and never seen in map format yet.

I think I found it - Azanulbizar.
    It was at this place that Azog was slain and Thorin earned his surname of Oakenshield.
    It is also the most important place in Dwarven history because it is here that Durin came after having woken up in Gundabar and it is here that he started founding Khazad Dum. The Durin's stone was left in memory of that event.
    It also enables to show the 3 biggest giants of the Misty mountains - Ziragzigil where arrives the Endless Stair, Barazinbar and Bundurhathűr.
    It is here that the Company came out of the Moria after that Gandalf saved them by stopping the Balrog . Actually the place where he killed the Balrog later is also on the map.
    Last but not least it was here that Balin was murdered when he returned to Khazad Dum.

I have chosen a relief, perspective style to maximally focus on the mountain giants. I don't know yet if I'll do it B&W or color.
    This is a fast sketch of how I would like it to look.
    And who said that graphic art should be mute ? As a bonus I add a song which perfectly fits to the image I have in mind . Enjoy : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXDSTLlZzA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Azanulbizar0001.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	559.0 KB 
ID:	79905
    Last edited by Diamond; 02-11-2016 at 10:50 AM. Reason: fixed title

I think this will turn out nicely! Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

Point of order, Tolkien-wise:
    I'm pretty sure it's Zirakzigil, not Ziragzigil.

From the Wiki:
    The translation of Zirakzigil is most likely "silver spike," but it is not clear which element means "silver" and which means "spike." A note written by J.R.R. Tolkien proposed that zirak meant "silver" and zigil meant "spike" but a later note said the reverse - that zigil meant "silver" and zirak meant "spike."

lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Zirakzigil
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Guild Artisan

Yes, of course it is Zirakzigil - lack of concentration on my part
    Actually in many LotRO edition it is spelled Zirak-zigil. According to The Lord of the Rings : A reader's companion (p. 267-26 the right spelling should be Zirakzigil.
    It means Silverspike (the same in Elvish too) but indeed Tolkien seems to have changed his mind about which is silver and which is spike or he just corrected an error.
    It was actually the latter because the river Celebrant (Silverlode for Men) is called Zigil-nâd so that zigil means silver.

Guild Artisan

OK , by checking the perspective scales, I realized that they were off.
    The Eastern Khazad Dum gate should be around 1 km from the shore so that I needed to redo another sketch. This one should be correct scalewise.
    Also as Barazinbar's characteristic is a redish color (LotR : "as if stained with blood"), I will have to do it in color.
    But as I have only a mouse, it will take time that I am not sure to have. Well , I'll try anyway and if I can't finish before the deadline then I'll finish it later..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Azanulbizar.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	79997

Wow, even your rough sketches look great!

Love the theme you've chosen and watching with interest.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Artisan

Thanks Chickpea - pencil goes easy. But then when I attack with the mouse, it s a much tougher to draw a correct line

Nice looking sketch Deadshade. I'll be watching this one.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Those sketches are full of promises! I'm looking forward to see where you go from there.

Guild Artisan

Thanks Arsheesh and Ilanthar.
    Compliments from you two masters go right to the heart. Right now I am trying to create a fitting color palette and then I will see where it leads.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast