Thread: A New World

Map A New World

Hello!

So, I recently began to develop an interest in Dungeons and Dragons after I was invited to a game, and I offered to help my DM make a map.

Now, I had no previous experience in making maps, so this was simply something for me to try my hand at, and I quickly found out that it was a really fun process! So, after making the map I began reading a bit more online too, which is how I stumbled onto this site, so I know of some of the mistakes with my map - for example rivers splitting a bit too much, which is supposed to be a rare occurrence.

I don't have a tonne of talent when it comes to art, but I've done a bit of calligraphy, so I decided that drawing the map in ink would be the way to go. I absolutely love the maps from Tolkien's books, so that was my primary source for inspiration.

The map was done first in pencil, and then I went over it in ink. There is a bit of smudging in places due to carelessness on my part.

I guess the point of making this post is seeking advice, critique, and anything else you can think of! Seeing how much I enjoyed making this map, I am pretty sure that I will make more in time. I've rambled on for quite a bit, so... yeah, let me know what you all think!

Edit: Oh, also to mention, there are few cities as only capital cities are shown.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	5.35 MB 
ID:	80002
    Last edited by Karikor; 02-07-2016 at 05:42 PM.

Banned User

Hello Karikor! Welcome to the Guild!

This is a very nice job for a first map! If you want to learn more, there is a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called
    Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to
    Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, you'll be well on your way!!

And be sure not to miss
    How to Get Your Rivers in the Right Place: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3822

and
    The Most Common Reality Errors:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=30156

Have fun and have some rep for your first map post!

Thank you! I'll be reading those tutorials now, and I'll (try to) keep them in mind as much as I can for my next map.

Clean and efficient map Karikor. I particularly like the boats .

wow i really love this. this is what i try to get my maps to look like simple, but detailed. maybe check out a desert tutorial. deserts can be hard to convey without labling it as a desert, but i dont think learning a couple tricks for like sand dunes or stuff like that could hurt. really nice map though, i dig it

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Guild, Karikor.

I love the Tolkien-ish feel of the map and you've made a great job of it. Compass looks fab too. Looking forward to seeing your next work.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Clean and efficient map Karikor. I particularly like the boats .
    Ditto this!

Great interpretation of the Tolkien style; you've hit on a good combination of representational simplicity and aesthetic appeal. I like it a lot.

Next time, maybe watch out for making the mountains too slanty; I keep turning my head to the right! I would also think about those deserts - a smaller-scale symbol to suggest sand dunes might be a little better.

If you had fun with this, definitely keep going! Welcome!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild. This map is wonderful because it shows so much character from the boats, to the compass, to the large text to identify where you are. I can see you put your heart into making this map as you tried for as much accuracy as you could get even when not knowing much about how to make a map. Its great in my book!