Thread: Fantasy World Map for YA Novel

Default Fantasy World Map for YA Novel

***UPDATE***
    I was able to find someone who did an awesome map for me. Thanks to everyone who showed interest. Consider this request closed.

Project Scope:
    I am a writer who is in the process of starting a fantasy series for young adults. I need a companion map to go along with the books.

Setting:
    Fantasy world... think Middle Earth.

Design Concept:
    I'd like something similar to this... http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...chmentid=79135

Number of maps:
    One

Technical:
    300 dpi minimum. Jpg, tiff, or png files
    Full color

Copyright:
    Remains with cartographer.
    Publisher retains right to reproduce the map to be included in the digital and print book series.

Deadline:
    Flexible. Book is currently in outlining stage, but the map would help me with that.

Payment:
    $50, payable via Paypal upon delivery of the final files.

Contact
    Joe Cleveland
    jrcleveland(at)gmail(dot)com
    Please use subject line YA Fantasy Map
    Last edited by jrcleveland; 02-23-2016 at 08:06 AM.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Sorry to be so blunt here, but you`ll need to add a zero to your budget to get a map like that. A colored map of that quality, for a commercial project, will easily take most cartographers - even the pros - 18+ hours, which translates into ~$2.78 per hour on your budget. And that's in the best case scenario.
    Last edited by Wired; 02-09-2016 at 06:44 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Hi Joe,

I'm afraid I have to concur with Wired: your budget is indeed pretty low for what you're asking. I myself am actually working on a test project that should end up looking faintly similar to Max's map you posted, but I can tell you I've spent way more that 18 hours on it already, and it's still far from done. Then again, this project (you can find it here) is supposed to teach me the ropes (is that an expression?), so I assume it's only normal it's taking a while. Once I get the hang of this type of mapping, I should be getting faster.

On the other hand, I'm not against earning some money while I'm learning! Earn while you learn - that even sounds great! So if you like the look of my project and you're willing to up those 50 USD to a more reasonable price (I'm thinking 350, since I'm still "learning the ropes", although there certainly is some wiggle room), I'll be happy to get involved!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I agree with Caenwyr and Wired, Max`s map are among the top quality for maps around here and a realistic budget should be planned for this. On the otherhand other may take up this offer but dont expect such high level of skill or time spend on it.