Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice map

Guild Member

Wip Practice map

This is just a practice map, I started it by using jezelf's tutorial technique of using difference clouds to shape the Map alpha, oceans, and landmasses.

Then I used my own pattern taken from a tileset of RPG Toolkit (www.toolkitzone.com) for grass, and a difference of techniques learned from other tuts and my own PS knowledge to create the oceans and mountain/elevation ranges.

I'm still working on it, but this is how much I've got done today in about 4-5 hours of time. Starting from nothing, I think I've done pretty good considering I wouldn't have been able to do something even 1/4 as good a week ago.

If anyone sees anything to point out, or has any comments/criticism, please feel free to add.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled map clean.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	7467  

Not a bad start.. but that texture is driving my eyes crazy. Try just making it a solid color instead. Nice beaches with the variable widths, but unless this is a really close up or the beaches are huge, they would more than likely not show up at the scale I expect this to be at.

Cant' wait to see more.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    or just lower the opacity of the texture to about 20-30%, it's too dominant.
    Or that too...
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

ok, thanks.. this is really my first stuff done digitally so I may not be quite what you expect at first. but I'm sure in time with your guys help I could be good too.

Quote Originally Posted by CC_JAR View Post
    ok, thanks.. this is really my first stuff done digitally so I may not be quite what you expect at first. but I'm sure in time with your guys help I could be good too.

Trust me, it's not that bad for a first try. My first tries were rather horrible, I spent a lot of time playing with GIMP, mainly trying to emulate others posts, and just a short 6 months later I believe I have come a long way.

Keep going with Jezelf's tutorial until you get to the part where he adds color to the land. I LOVE that technique of painting some various colors and blurring to get some nice transitions.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Guild Member

I had already had this version before I had read your posts, but I'll still post them just so you can see where I was going, though I'll make the changes when I get home...

and the second one is the territory mask.. though the place really has no story, it makes the cities placement make a bit more sense perhaps..

Name:	Untitled map clean.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	7508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled map territory mask.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	7509  

Guild Member

here's the map with a toned down grass texture, is this any better?

Name:	Untitled map v2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	7557  

Quote Originally Posted by CC_JAR View Post
    here's the map with a toned down grass texture, is this any better?
    Oh yea... this is a tremendous improvement. You may want to look at your color scheme next. You have some neon green which I assume is meant to be some forest(perhaps mountainous forests?) and I think this really distracts the eyes (at least mine).

I like the beach effect(really like actually), but am not sure if it's appropriate to the perceived scale of the map. I could be wrong on the scale though, so perhaps you can let us know what the scale should be. Unless the beaches are huge or the scale is in the 20 miles or so range, they would not be visible.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Oh yea... this is a tremendous improvement. You may want to look at your color scheme next. You have some neon green which I assume is meant to be some forest(perhaps mountainous forests?) and I think this really distracts the eyes (at least mine).

I like the beach effect(really like actually), but am not sure if it's appropriate to the perceived scale of the map. I could be wrong on the scale though, so perhaps you can let us know what the scale should be. Unless the beaches are huge or the scale is in the 20 miles or so range, they would not be visible.
    it's not to scale.. scale and me don't get along so well.. heh..

but yeah, I put the coastline in there b/c it looked horrible with the land just dropping off into the sea, especially with the grass texture at the time.

At the scale it's supposed to be, you probably wouldn't even see the coast, or very little at that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast