Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meteor mining colony

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip Meteor mining colony

I've never tried anything "techy" or modern or "spacey" so I thought I'd give it a try. Spent the afternoon and night coming up with this...a mining colony on an asteroid. Tips, pointers, raves, critiques, etc. are always welcomed All in Photoshop by yours truly, except the font, which is Alexis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meteor.jpg 
Views:	887 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	7385  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

wow Ascension, that meteor looks great Any chances you could write a short tutorial how you did that? I would really like to know it
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

This meteor is awesome, Ascension! It's unbelieveable what you're able to do with PS! It's great! This one deserves a spotlight in the cartographer's choice forum!

Great work!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Excellent job!

I dub thee newly repped! *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Very nice, only real comment is that some of the transport tubeways seem overly jagged. I can understand the idea of following contours to a degree, but I think its slightly overdone.

Other than that its great.

Maybe add some symbols for what is available at each hub? Depends on what the purpose of the map is really. Overall I like how it looks, and the asteroid is pretty badass.
    Something witty and pithy

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

As far as a tut goes, it's the same stuff I always do but with browns and ambers instead of greens for the land and mountains. That tut is in the tut section called something like "making a continent in photoshop". There are 3 mountain layers so that's a lil different, but the overall 3d feel comes from just applying a black and amber bevel and some brown inner glow to the main land layer with some extra black airbrushing for shadowing the underneath. I made up a scrambly texture to overlay the whole thing and there's no way I could ever reproduce that since I was wearing my mad scientist hat (notice that there appears to be some greenish tree-like stuff in the lower parts).

I should probably find me a tut for making a better planet (again my usual method but when done I flattened all the layers there and used the distort > spherize filter to give it some roundness) but I wanted it to be more muted so that it doesn't attract too much focus away from the asteroid, the original was much nicer before I grayed it up. The starfield is pretty easy. Black layer, render noise (20%), enlarge 400%, copy the layer and set to multiply, copy again and set to vivid light, then put a very colorful pattern overlay on to make some stars red or blue or green etc. The dust cloud is just airbrushing.

Ya know, after all of this explaining...maybe I will put this in a tut Ok, off to write it up now.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is truly a unique idea. I love the result.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast