Thread: Gilded Lady - A DD3 Tavern

Guild Novice

Map Gilded Lady - A DD3 Tavern

Well met travelers. My name is Heiandal, the proud owner of the Gilded Lady Tavern in the town of Highmoon.
    If you are planning to visit the 'Keep on the Shadowfell' then it is likely that you will visit my establishment. Despite the views of the local scribes - the Witches of the Cloth (WotC tm), I feel that as Barkeep, I am quite likely to have a view regarding proceedings in my tavern. Harrumph.

The Gilded Lady was built on the site of the old 'Oak and Spear' tavern that was destroyed by unfettered wild magic in the year of the blue fire (1385 DR). The existing Walnut v walls were used during the construction, but new floor tiles had to be designed to match the town planners decor (the post is currently occupied by the Honorable Mike Schley)

I have provided a sketch of 'the lady' that was recently produced for our serving maids to assist them in the positioning of the tables etc (the grid helps the poor folk identify the patrons tables).
    The artist, a wayward scoundrel by the name of Goatdealer, has used the lighting to show the location of the patrons at the time of drawing.
    When I asked about the shadowing effects, he produced several bits of thin linen which he called sheets, he says that adding the furniture to its own sheet dependent upon the direction of the lighting has enabled him to make best use of drop shadow and glow effects. Why the babbling fool couldn't use a sheet of parchment is beyond me.

Ahem, forgive me, I have kept you for too long. Feel free to visit when you are passing.

All Titles and Marks (TM) acknowledged.
    Special thanks to Mike Schley for the original map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gilded lady.png 
Views:	452 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	7485  
    Found in a computer dictionary..Recursive - see recursive...
    Software used - Campaign Cartographer 3, DD3 and CC3.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Very nice! Looking forward to seeing more.
    Ya.. very pretty... Watch your different shadow effects... they don't match...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's pretty cool. I like the idea that not all pubs are big grand things with 50 booths and alcoves...straight-forward country pub. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Many thanks for all your comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Ya.. very pretty... Watch your different shadow effects... they don't match...
    The shadows were not intended to match
    I was attempting to make the shadows reflect the lighting supplied by the position of the lit candles. There are four light sources in the Tavern, two on the north wall, one on the table with 5 chairs and one in the east corner. I figured that the light from these would cause the shadowing to be different. Maybe it shows this clearer in DD3, or maybe fantasy maps should not be too realistic
    Its difficult to pick when its your own map, what do people think, realistic or artistic?

Quote Originally Posted by goatdealer View Post
    Many thanks for all your comments.

The shadows were not intended to match
    I was attempting to make the shadows reflect the lighting supplied by the position of the lit candles. There are four light sources in the Tavern, two on the north wall, one on the table with 5 chairs and one in the east corner. I figured that the light from these would cause the shadowing to be different. Maybe it shows this clearer in DD3, or maybe fantasy maps should not be too realistic
    Its difficult to pick when its your own map, what do people think, realistic or artistic?

Ok... I understand the effect you are going for(so it makes more sense to me now), but it's rather tricky to pull off. For example, the "couch" facing fireplace is very close to 3 separate light sources and they are almost all the same distance but from 3 different directions. How do you resolve at this point? Likewise, the table that is almost dead center between the table with 5 chairs and the booth where both have lights. "I" would say just put a tiny dark glow around each object to give it a bit of depth and call it a night....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm with J on that shadow stuff. The strongest light would cast the strongest shadow and if all lights are equal candles then it could get crazy trying to resolve the conundrum without a 3d renderer so just a black fuzzy outer glow should suffice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Having redone the map as suggested, I am afraid that I have to agree with you all, it looks better with 'glow' shadowing.
    Still I learnt a lot about sheets and layers.

Many thanks to NeonKnight for the excellent tutorial
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gilded lady 2.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	7510  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

A nice map, and you learned something in the process? Call the day a winner!!!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Guild Novice

A nice map. An easy solution to the shadow question is actually in this year's annual. I you got a couple of bucks to spare, Profantasy has created tools that automatically do the shadows for you.