Thread: Interstellar Trading Vessel to Inspire a Map Symbol Set

Default Interstellar Trading Vessel to Inspire a Map Symbol Set

I've got a thread in the Mapping Elements forum (http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...208#post291208) where I am working on creating 100 sci-fi map symbols usable to create starship deck plans, starports and other battle stations. I've got a little over 80 objects of 100 created so far, and know what I need to create to complete, but need some inspiration to do that. So I opted to build a multi-deck interstellar trading vessel that require the missing elements.

I am using Xara Designer Pro x11, my preferred vector application to create this map using photo textures, beveled shapes, 3D extrusions with drop shadows and transparency. The intended deck plan is a long ship mostly consisting of a pair of linked girders with locked large cargo containers attached, accessible via a catwalk and tram on rails, essentially a horizontal elevator, connecting the main part of the ship at the front, and engineering deck and engines in rear.

So far, I have the top or bridge deck completed.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge-deck01.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	317.3 KB 
ID:	80385
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quarters Deck on my trader starship deck plan, deck 2 beneath the bridge deck (previously posted deck plan). Note, this is an assymetrical design, as this ship can only dock in space, thus a ship's boat will need to be created.

Stairs link in the central circular chamber. A completed medical sickbay sits to the top right, in the top left, I plan to place a galley/mess hall and recreation center on the carpeted side. High passage and senior officer quarters are the staterooms, while the crew members use the bunk rooms and share the shower and changing unit (4 rooms per shower).

Beyond the pressure door on the bottom center of the deck, I'm planning to place a workout center, airlock for personnel exiting craft, and stairs downward to crew cargo deck and life support systems. Beyond that will be parallel girders where large cargo containers will be attached along its length. Engineering and the ship's engine is at the aft of ship on the opposite end of the girders. At the center of the pair of girders will be a catwalk, the length of the girders, and a tram car on rails that carry passengers between the engineering deck and the main ship at front.

This is a work-in-progress, but close to finished.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quarters-deck.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	699.0 KB 
ID:	80386  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Update to deck two of the mid-size trading vessel. I added tables in the galley/mess hall (still needs the galley counter/kitchen facilities and rec center furnishings). I added a fitness center with the tram station below that (tram station serves as a waiting area for tram that travels down rails the length of the girder assembly between the fore and aft part of the ship). Also added an extendable airlock walkway that can attach to exterior ships and space stations for egress from ship. Access to the lower deck which will contain: life support systems, crew cargo storage, low passage units and the ship's brig. Note this map cuts off most of the length of the girders where cargo containers are attached. Almost done with this part of deck 2.

Name:	deck-2-update.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	80406
    DrivethruRPG store

Fore section (quarters deck) on deck two is complete. Next I'll work on the lower deck of the fore section, then create engineering in the aft section of deck two, and the engines to complete the map. I will also include an exterior view of the entire ship to show its length and details.

GP

Name:	deck-2-update.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	80416
    DrivethruRPG store

Deck 3 of the fore section of my interstellar cargo hauler trading ship. Ladder beneath stairs on Deck 2 accesses the life support section, surrounded by the water storage container, with additional life support systems aft of circular chamber. A forklift ship for maneuvering cargo containers on the exterior part of the ship is parked on the port side. I plan to create a ship's boat and deck plan to attach on the starboard side. Crew cargo is aft of this section. On the starboard side is a single cell brig, and 4 cryogenic chambers sit aft of the cargo airlock. Stairs to deck 2 like in the oval chamber at the aft end, along with the ship's power generator.

Next, the aft section of the ship - engineering and the engines, as well as the ship's boat.

GP

Name:	life-support-deck.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	914.4 KB 
ID:	80465
    DrivethruRPG store

The aft section of the interstellar cargo transport ship, actually an extension of deck two. Ship's engines and the engineering section.

GP

Name:	engineering-transport-deck.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	80481
    DrivethruRPG store

Marco Polo class interstellar cargo transport ship with exteriors and total length. Done. I have to create the ship's boat exterior and deck plan, then I'll be done with this project.

GP

Name:	interstellar-cargo-transport.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	495.5 KB 
ID:	80484
    DrivethruRPG store

This is pretty cool GP. I recently started a Traveler game so I'm enjoying this more than usual. :-)
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt