Thread: Tranis - First and simple map

Map Tranis - First and simple map

Good morning to all!
    I made this map totally in autoREALM. It's my first, noobish map, so, it' s very crap. But, is it a good start?
    I hope that You like it! comments are welcome!
    PS: it' s made in italian
    PPS: big file big time upload...
    PPPS: elapsed time from when I write this post and upload: 31 minutes
    PPPPS: elapsed time from when I write this post and upload: 1 hour! of God!!
    (5P)S: oh, upload complete

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/f8799eb0d9_12.21MB

Guild Member

Unfortunately, map doesn't work for me.

I map exclusively in AR as well, although I now bought CC3 as my world got too large for an AR file.

Blog Entries

Here is your image. When saved as a 256 col PNG its a mere 120K. You can attach images like this with the attach BB code or by hitting the Manage Attachments button. I would recommend using JPG or PNG images.

Upload - 8 secs

Very Nice.

Its a lot better then any of my first attempts.

I really like it!
    Suggestions...
    Change the large expanse of blue water to a darker color so that it doesn't appear so prominent. Or add a texture (see bringing oceans to life with textures on my website).
    The large brown expanse "Monti Lhen" is a mountain? (guessing Monti in Italian is same as Monts in French) Other mountains are triangular shapes. Is there a difference? Same for forest versus tree symbols.

Thanks Yes, Monti Lhem are Mountains Lhem... It is a mountain range, but the triangular shapes (single symbol of mnt.) are singular mountains... Same thing for forest... green expanse are big forest, and singular symbols are small forest... it' s a very simple (and crap) map, I will make a better map...
    Thanks for suggestions...

I wouldn't call it a crap map. Consider it a rough draft. All artists make studies of subjects before producing a final product, a effort that seems lost in the digital age.

Very true - I used to love to draw stuff, but with a computer's ability to edit everything it just makes it too easy to 'cheat'.

I almost never sketch anything first anymore.

Guild Member

For a short campaign, I think it's good enough. I'd spice it up a bit f it is for a longer story though. Personally, I don't care for the font, it distracts me from the map's features. but that's just a matter of taste I guess.

I'd probably make the trees a bit smaller and put in a few more to indicate the forest - they look a bit big compared to the mountains. Or do you want to show very large trees in small groups?

@ Lwaxana: mmmh, good observation for the forest... i will make they smaller... thanks to all