View Poll Results: Non-Geography Map Challenge?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 77.78%
  • No

4 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Non-Geography Map

Guild Journeyer

Default A Non-Geography Map

Map something other than geography. It could be something like a timeline, subway stop and line schematic, cause/effect map, mind map, etc.

This is probably outside of most everyone's comfort zone, but the creativity I've seen here in the short time I've been around inspires me and I would love to see what creative things people would come up with.

Interesting. We've done some similar ideas but it's been a long time. I'll have to think of what I would want to do.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Great thought! I know just what I would do

I like this idea, could go so many ways!

Well would you consider things like ship deck plans or encounter scale maps inside a building, both I see as completely absent of geographical terrain? For some reason the OP thinks maps must include geographic data, and to me, only a percentage - perhaps less than 50% actually include terrain at all, unless you consider a flat floor some kind of terrain. Mind maps, and such are definitely non-terrain, but something I would never do.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I think he means a map not specifically defined by exact spatial data. Train maps are defined by the order of the stops for instance, not the distance or direction between them. Etc.

I think it's a good idea.

I actually figured that's what was meant, which means, not my interest.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Ok. It's still a good idea though. Be a nice opportunity for people to mix up their paths up a little. I think for instance the palette idea did a wonderful job of that even though I didn't initially like it, this may do the same thing.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Ok. It's still a good idea though. Be a nice opportunity for people to mix up their paths up a little. I think for instance the palette idea did a wonderful job of that even though I didn't initially like it, this may do the same thing.
    Definitely agree with you on this Falconius! And it's not just mixing things up, but I think with the palette one, for some people (myself included) it helped in discovering new things that work well in maps, so this could do the same.

No idea what I'd do for this yet though, but that's usually the way anyway!

Yeah, I think this could be fun since it's a little different and I've even half an idea of what I might do (but don't do it in October please because I won't have time to enter next month!!)

The colour palette challenge was a great idea. I think a lot of people have enjoyed it. I guess we secretly like being pushed to try new things.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast