Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: November Entry: Idiots Guide to the Solar System

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think that new font is great, very readable - even at the smaller sizes.

Love the inclusion of the fleet breakdown!

Man this month is gonna be tough to judge, lot's o'fantastic entries so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I like the black lines running across the page like a VDU and I do think it works really well on the left side font but I am finding it hard to read the small stuff. The small font characters are made up of about 4 lines of VDU scans which is a bit small really. If the whole image was bigger but with the same res of lines then it would be great. Alternatively, is it possible to have the dark bands less dark on just the text areas as though it were bleeding the phosphor out because of the bright text ? I dont know if that would help or not.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks for the feedback as I know what to work on.

I've considered just dumping the scanlines entirely...if future technologies can use wormholes then they should be able to get rid of scanlines, right? I had em scaled way up at first (500%) then I've scaled em down 50% and might do so again before I'm done, I dunno. BTW, they're just a 1 X 2 pixel pattern of white and medium gray set to color dodge (this brightens up all of the light colors and leaves the darker ones alone so this really helps out my mass of bright clouds).

Alternatively, I've been messin around with a 1-pixel black stroke around the letters in the main viewing screen and it really helps them to stand out so I might take that over into the menus as well. Also all of the lettering is at 50% opacity so I might up that as well. Mainly I'm just thinking about things to put into the image to make it look like a video game (right now I'm doing a buildings menu) and for me the tedium like font legibility and spacing things and frames all comes at the end after I have the look I want.

With all of that said, I gotta remember to work on my fonts and scanlines
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Here's an update: lots of stuff tweaked but no major additions...still working on building ideas. Aligned, centered, and spaced all the text and images properly, put in the window frames, pattern and color overlays for the window backgrounds, scaled down the scanlines, changed the colors and styles on the text, etc. It's coming along rather nicely now, I think. Might put one more window in the bottom for something, occupations or maybe resources.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-08-Cha-Asc-2.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	7766  
    Last edited by Ascension; 11-13-2008 at 10:29 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

I really like this mpa ascension

Awesome. Makes me want to dig out my Master of Orion discs!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Awesome. Makes me want to dig out my Master of Orion discs!
    As long as its not MOO III - that was terrible . MOO II was fantastic.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

There is a whole bunch going on here. very tasty map indeed. Very elegant use of space to shove all that data in very efficiently. Well done.
    Something witty and pithy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123