Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback needed on Regional Map First Draft - Shattered (Extremely Novice WIP)

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Help Feedback needed on Regional Map First Draft - Shattered (Extremely Novice WIP)

Hi all,

(EDIT: Have started work on a colour version of the map as I wasn't feeling the black and white version. New version starts at top of page 2).

This is only my second attempted map and the first one never got far. This one has got further but it's still very rough. Everything is draw symbols very fast and get feedback then work out how to symbolize things in a polished way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shattered map draft.png 
Views:	163 
Size:	4.00 MB 
ID:	81096

I think I have way too many mountains - It is supposed to mountainous but perhaps not that much. I'm not sure about my rivers either but I'm happy with the coastline.

Becka
    Last edited by Becka S; 05-03-2016 at 05:19 PM.

Hi Becka,

You sure like mountains ! Maybe trading the "mountainous fields" for some well placed chains who could help you define the river system.

As it is, the water coming from your plateau needs a valley to reach the sea or you need an inland sea to collect the water coming from the plateau and from the east side of the mountains.

Concerning the coast, maybe adding some distant ripples to help smooth the shore.

Aside from that, it's a promising start.

Thomas

I forgot, for the mountains, I used this http://www.fantasticmaps.com and it was very helpful as well as Max's maps. For the rest, I'm sure this thread by Wired will help : http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=32977

Hope it's helpful.

Thomas

Thanks for the links.

And yeah so many mountains... I don't know what I was thinking.

Help

Okay, I've started draft two using Gimp rather than pencil. You'll notice it's been reorientated. That's because it's supposed to be west coast on southern hemisphere landmass and I'd drawn it as if it was northern hemisphere considering my climate decisions. The grey streaks are where I'm thinking the mountains should be. Wanted opinions before I start drawing them. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shattered map 1.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	603.3 KB 
ID:	81112

Thanks,
    Becka

I confess that I'm now officially cheating on this map. I've downloaded some map brushes for gimp (mountains, trees, cities and things. It may not look 100% professional this way but it's a fast way of working out where things are. So while they may not look great I now know roughly where the mountains are and I've started work on the rivers. Only the south-western rivers are done so far as I was hoping for feedback before mapping in the rest. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shattered map 3.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	819.6 KB 
ID:	81176

Well, it's certainly better than my first maps. The amount of mountains certainly gives it a grand sense of size, which is okay. You're on the right track.
    Can't say I like those mountain brushes...

Good start!

Yeah, I'm not too enamored of that mountain brush myself. I'd go looking for a better one but I still intend to eventually replace that mountain layer with hand drawn ones using my tablet but I need practice first.

I've defined more of the rivers and some forest this evening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shattered map 4.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	958.2 KB 
ID:	81222

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Very neat map so far, I like the coastline and your mountain and river placement looks great. Some rivers rivers are blocky though and not as smooth as the others, and I'd suggest tapering the starting points of the rivers instead of making them fade to gray. Hand-drawn mountains are nice, looking forward to that

Thanks.

The rivers don't taper because I'm having some pressure sensitivity issues with my tablet currently.

I'm going to look into either redrawing the mountains or finding a better brush this weekend. Also need to sort out how o show an area of rolling, hilly but not mountainous ground just north of the forest (non of the ill brushes I have work for me)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast