Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: November Entry: Dont Panic !

Blog Entries

A bit more - looking like the final now but I still have a bit more to do. I want a close up of the star base and maybe the mentioned nebula. Also I wanted to get in the image of the whole galaxy and where this map fits on it.

### Latest WIP ###

Blog Entries

Actually, you cant see anything on that last one. This one has a few updates but is bigger. Even this one tho is 20% of full size. I am doing this at 36x24 300dpi in case there's a remote chance of printing...

Edit -- By the way, the full size 8192x12288 which is in fact higher than 36x24 at 300dpi in PNG is 30Mb not the 200+ that was suggested. Obviously this image has a lot of solid color but is pretty representative I think.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-09-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff RR! Think you may have a typo - "GLANDING"
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Cool stuff RR! Think you may have a typo - "GLANDING"
    I took "Glanding' as some sort of innuendo pertaining to sexual activities Just cause we on Earth engage in sexual copulation, doesn;t mean other species are limited to sexual or asexual reprodution. Some species may require 3 or more participants to procreate, and would we as Humans even know what another species sexual act looks like?

Just some random thoughts
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

Ahh yes... that might need some explanation I read quite a few Iain M Banks books which deal with far future sci-fi and a highly advanced humanoid species called the Culture. These individuals have advanced genetics to the point where they have some body modifications and included in these are drug glands where they can imbibe or self generate a variety of drugs to aid in performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture#Physiology

So its not a typo, it means that you are not allowed to be intoxicated (stoned) out of the recreational areas where it might have safety implications.

This info-panel is a dynamic flat screen type touch panel where it gives latest information. I reckon that you could touch the screen and select different info and drag that cube about for the 3D view. The time and date should be continuously updating and it probably runs information and advertising all the time.

The glanding is not a sexual thing specifically but Iain Banks has some interesting ideas on that too. In the culture you can choose to have a sex change and it takes a while (cant remember exactly how long but a few months at least) to grow a new set of organs. So in his books a male character might be female by the end of the book. Also the recommendation is to change sex at least a few times and have some children whilst being female. Some of the characters dont like the idea and choose not to change. Also, there are some times when surgical robots amputate limbs or swap limbs with other people for recreation too. Its a bit bizarre but thats the thing I like most about his books is that he really goes right out there and extrapolates wildly about what might happen with a significantly advanced technology and how these might manifest themselves.

Blog Entries

Added the nebula, the star base in classic Halo fashion and the original galaxy icon showing where this sector is - although it would be a box much smaller than shown I think.

I whooped up the Halo ring in no time getting a nice background from Nasa again. Those spoddy astronomers might recognize the Orion Nebula and I have put my star where Trapezium is. I used my Instant islands to get some terrain for the inside of the ring and rendered it with light wave cos I chickened out of Blender again ! It was fun doing this pic tho.

All the bits are composited in ViewingDale and then rendered out at 8Kx12K image which looks nice though these on the web are 1/4 res in each direction for size reasons.

I am pretty much done now. I am really pleased with this one. Often I don't put much effort into my challenges but there was some sweating going on in this one to get the effect I wanted and I think I got all that I imagined.

Any critiques at all ? I still have plenty of time to fix up anything that anyone thinks is not quite right about it.

### Latest WIP ###
    Last edited by Redrobes; 07-05-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Whoops I have spotted a typo I'll fix that for next time.

It looks lovely! (your entry is fast becoming one of my favourites).

My suggestions: Give it some branding, it looks commercial so put some nifty logos in. Perhaps one to the right of the 'Commercial Area 14' text.

Not sure if the text indents in the purple box are intentional but they look a bit odd. Might be worth putting in (more branding) a semi-transparent vector image behind the text in a lighter purple to give the area more interest.

I'm not sure if this is meant to be a poster or an image on a VDU. If the former, it might be fun to see it in some sort of context with other posters around it etc. If the latter, it might be fun to give it a more glassy type look.

Just ideas off the top of my head.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    It looks lovely! (your entry is fast becoming one of my favourites).
    Thanks, I am pleased with how its come out. I was worried that it wasn't going to be anything like I wanted.

My suggestions: Give it some branding, it looks commercial so put some nifty logos in. Perhaps one to the right of the 'Commercial Area 14' text.
    Ok thats a good idea. Its sorta loosly based on Trek TNG styling. I am pretty sure they had the ole star fleet logos on theirs too.

Not sure if the text indents in the purple box are intentional but they look a bit odd. Might be worth putting in (more branding) a semi-transparent vector image behind the text in a lighter purple to give the area more interest.
    Yes I am not sure about the indents either. What would have been better would have been spaces between the paragraphs instead but then the text would have to be smaller to do it. Perhaps I should just left justify and be done with it. I think the backgorund purple would indeed be more interesting with some watermarking type thing going on. Ill look into that.

I'm not sure if this is meant to be a poster or an image on a VDU. If the former, it might be fun to see it in some sort of context with other posters around it etc. If the latter, it might be fun to give it a more glassy type look.
    Its an image on a poster sized VDU which is on the wall next to the windows in a recreational area like 10 forward of Enterprise. The VDU thing is like a giant iPhone nailed to the wall. As a tourist and cargo transporter the ship makes scheduled trips around a ring of star systems. So this area is a lounge with a bar, tables, eatery and maybe some entertainment. I was thinking of roughing out a 3D environment and showing it placed then I could get some reflections in the screen. That would help I think. Theres probably enough time to do it.

Just ideas off the top of my head.
    Yeah thats great. There hasn't been a lot of comment. I don't know if people love it or hate it. This is actually my first ever sci-fi map ! I am finding it a little easier in the art side of things what with the straight lines and clean curves. Unlike fantasy where you actually have to do some real drawing which I can't do as well as some guys here.

I'll see if I can incorporate some of those ideas. I am a bit sunk into Galrions map for a while tho.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast