Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: November Entry: Dont Panic !

I am not sure I can add much to the discussion here, other than damn that is extremely well done. You might want to tone down the travel line of the ship by altering the color some. As it is it seems a but too dominant (even though it is one of the main focal points).
    Something witty and pithy

Blog Entries

Thanks and ill do something about that line. Its me being lazy again and reusing my little widgets from my Thrub map. I can make them smaller too and put more in - a finer dashed line.

Blog Entries

Fixed minor typo, put in a natty logo, got shot of the indents, thinned up the dotted navigation line and put in a nifty math spike thingy backdrop on the text. Took a while to render that even on Blender as I set it for reflection and it was 8K wide since this map is about 8Kx12K.

Probably my last WIP as I cant think of anything else I could do to it.

### Latest WIP ###

Blog Entries

Had a family member look at my map. I said it was kinda based on the Star Trek Look and he said there was a name for it. So get gets his Star Trek reference manual out... (no need to say anything at this point)

So (apparently) my map is based on the LCARS GUI model... so there - now you know. Now I know at any rate. Had to look it up, naturally, and came across this.

http://www.lcarsdeveloper.com/

and there's pages and pages of stuff like this. A whole Gnome Desktop GUI based on it and everything...

I think my handful of tourist words in Klingon doesn't get me into star fleet.

I would mention the new film with Kirk & Spock but the last time I went off at a tangent the whole thread needed CL attention. But if & when anyone's actually seen it then tell me whether it is a thumbs up or not ?

I'm pretty familiar with the LCARS interface designs...and I didn't make a connection with your map.

About the only LCARS thing is the curved lead in bar.... and not that much.

-Rob A>

Bleah (not yours RR; yours is actually reasonably clear and reminds me of the in-universe magazine that came with the original Wing Commander). Navigating LCARS is like trying to navigate Windows using the periodic table of elements. I'd go blind after a week of using that kind of interface.

Blog Entries

I think I must be last to know about this stuff then.

I have no idea whether it is like LCARS or not. I did it from memory with that curvy bit which was a deliberate nod to the Star Trek panels - mainly cos I have lost all my ingenuity to come up with something new.

The heights above and below the plane were ripped from the ole Elite game but I see that system being used a lot in various charts now. When animated in real time you could roll and pitch the ship and actually navigate your ship using those lines. I even did a search on google for the name generator for the planets that Elite used too - that was another inspired bit of programming. All the planet names were algorithmically made and some sounded really cool.

I never made it to Elite tho. I think I got to 'Dangerous' and realized I needed to shoot down a zillion more of those round ships - forgotten what they are called now - in hyperspace which was indeed pretty tricky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(video_game)

They have images there on that wiki link but none show the head up display radar with a significant bar over the flight plane. Nach.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234