Thread: Gundabad

Post Gundabad

Hello!, these maps are about as finished as they are probably ever going to get. I did these when I was 15 I think- which is like nearly 25 years ago OMG! I digitally remastered them about 5 years ago.
    They are maps of a goblin city under Mt Gundabad from Middle Earth (Tolkien's Lord of the Rings). They were designed to supplement some roleplaying material (I.C.E Gundabad scenario). I did actually gamesmaster this campaign and it was pretty awesome!

http://www.skindustry.net/medem/file...d1Version1.zip

Cheers,
    monks

Blog Entries

That was a pretty mad bit of mapping. You could set a long adventure in those tunnels.

Great and vast work monks. I actually have ICE's Gundabad module complete with the Pete Fenlon map of the Northern Misty Mountains, and I've never played it. Now that I've snagged your maps I just might.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Cool!! That's just what I want- for it to be out there and used. There is another map which is of the Gundalok shelf which has a couple of the accesses into the city (apart from the obvious and rather fatal 'front door' hehe), but it's not crucial in any way.
    I've mapped the Gundalok shelf as part of ME-DEM's terrain work. I'll try dig out a little pic- it's very large scale but it's cool to see how it all sits together in context. These maps are actually how all this stuff started out for me 5 years ago. Amazing where the crazy internet tunnels will take you!
    The levels all physically line up vertically. So one chute on an upper level will lie directly over a chute on the lower level on the page as it were.

monks

Now I have an excuse to find the module and see how well it fits.... #3110 Mount Gundabad

Not that I don't trust you by any means. I just want an excuse .

The ICE Middle Earth stuff is still some of the finest stuff in Role Playing. Lot of work by this guy,,, Monte Cook. I hear he stayed with RPG Publishing..

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 11-05-2008 at 09:00 PM.

Hi Sigurd, I measured the extents of the mountain so that the city was contained. I also started out each level with the core map provided in the module. On each level if you look at the centre you will see a square area of tunnels that is found in the module. Everything beyond that is left to the GM.
    I also kept to the number of features on each city level as stated by ICE (where they are stated). There is some discussion in the txt file in the zip. The shafts should also align up with the Spire upper levels.
    Just checked and the first printing was 1984. That' d make me 15 at the time- this was a loooong time ago so I was curious.

The Gundalok shelf map was the connection between the broader Campaign map and Gundabad. The actual campaign stretched over much of Rhovanion/ Angmar and the Misty Mts via a network of tunnels. The players didn't see light of day for many months. haha! Middle Earth is criss-crossed with a conspiracy of tunnels laid down by Morgoth in the First Age (Morgoth = Sauron's Master n the Silmarillion). The remnants of these are what the players were exploring/ travelling by.

monks

Found it- this is not redrawn a yet, just scanned:

WARNING! THIS IS A BIG FILE (50 Mb).
    http://www.skindustry.net/medem/files/Temp/Gundalok.png

It's an intestine!!
    The grey area is the canyon. The tunnels occupy 3 levels with exits both from the ground above and out into the canyon walls as caves overlooking the view.
    See if you can spot the corkscrew tunnel hahah!

monks

ps if anyone is interested I can give you a link to the out of print scenario.
    Last edited by monks; 11-06-2008 at 08:59 AM.