Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Map 05 - Lands of Nahadua [J.Ed land]

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've already mentioned this, but the contours on the mountains are fabulous. You've got an interesting naming convention going on here as well. I find this to be one of the more laborious and time-consuming aspects of map creation.
    Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    It is - naming stuff can take as long as drawing it sometimes.
    This one was more done by feel and sound rather than actually written out and worked up properly.
    I did write some down to work out mountain range names though.
    Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    looking damn lovely, and kudos for your text about name shortening... and the fromage... gotta love that
    Thanks Tilt I think most missed that bit about name shortening

So here's a changed format... sort of. Not sure if the new little Nahadua guy is going to stay or if he'll get the axe like the fromage shield did.
    I'll still do the color version, but it may look a little different. Also, can't decide if I like that little territories map top-right or not. The space was so empty but I can't crop it out due to my countries shape...
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild World - Nahadua 01c_test.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	4.58 MB 
ID:	83031

Redrobes - here's a current png version of the map to add to your big map.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild World - Nahadua BIG map.png 
Views:	160 
Size:	8.41 MB 
ID:	83037
    Last edited by J.Edward; 04-26-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Awesome J.Ed!!
    It's incredible how your style is at the same time clean and minimal and extraordinarly accurate! I think this is one of your best skill!
    Apart from the mountain ranges, which are splendid (and really pain to draw I bet) the labels are perfect, I'm so envy of that.. how do you place the rivers name exactly along the curved line? probably there is a tutorial somewhere in the forum...
    The little mountain icons are differents, does this mean something? like the altitude
    The only "critique" I could do is about the minimap on left, little color could help to understand better...but I'm addicted to color so my opinion is "falsed"

p.s. I like the new logo more, even if I love cheese it fits better in the style of the map

Great map John! Incredible amount of time, effort and skill!

Awesome Map again. Love the details and the top map adds another level of information. Love how some elements cross the border, adds interest. Sorry can't rep you again so soon.

I'm amazed each time I'm looking at this... I really like the sound of the labels. I'm not sure about the mini-map ; I mean : the diverse hatchings are not so easy for spotting the different regions.
    The new logo is excellent, even if there is no cheese in it .

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Awesome J.Ed!!
    It's incredible how your style is at the same time clean and minimal and extraordinarly accurate! I think this is one of your best skill!
    Apart from the mountain ranges, which are splendid (and really pain to draw I bet) the labels are perfect, I'm so envy of that.. how do you place the rivers name exactly along the curved line? probably there is a tutorial somewhere in the forum...
    The little mountain icons are differents, does this mean something? like the altitude
    The only "critique" I could do is about the minimap on left, little color could help to understand better...but I'm addicted to color so my opinion is "falsed"

p.s. I like the new logo more, even if I love cheese it fits better in the style of the map
    Thanks Tom.
    The mini-map had a bit more color when I first did it. The color looked wrong on this map, but I'll take another look at it - maybe different colors would fit better.
    For the rivers - I use the pen tool in PS and create curved lines to match the curves of the river and then do text on curve.
    I usually have to make a number of adjustments to the curves even after I do the text to get them to fit properly. It isn't fun to do, that's for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great map John! Incredible amount of time, effort and skill!
    Thank you Bogie
    Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Awesome Map again. Love the details and the top map adds another level of information. Love how some elements cross the border, adds interest. Sorry can't rep you again so soon.
    Thanks snodsy. No problem - it happens when you post maps frequently.
    Yes, I love doing that - going over the edge in places. It's a nice look .
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I'm amazed each time I'm looking at this... I really like the sound of the labels. I'm not sure about the mini-map ; I mean : the diverse hatchings are not so easy for spotting the different regions.
    The new logo is excellent, even if there is no cheese in it .
    Yeah, the mini-map was an attempt to give some useful info graphic that could fill that empty space I had at the top... maybe I'll find something better to fill it there.
    That's often how I do place names, if I don't construct a proper conlang - I'll sit and say words and sounds to try them out and see what sounds good.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks fantastic JE - wonderful work filled with details
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Looks fantastic JE - wonderful work filled with details
    Thanks Tilt - sorry for taking so long to respond.

I'm going to try to draw up some cities for Nahadua today.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 05-29-2016 at 02:21 AM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected joaodafi's Avatar

JE, I never get tired to enjoy your maps.
    Sorry any grammatical error, I'm better with Portuguese than English.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast