Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Map 8 - The Halfings last refuge: Shireland

Excellent story for an excellent map!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Your area is all islands so it doesnt make a lot of difference really. But this image still has text sticking out so I am a bit confused. I wouldn't worry about it tho and there are loads of other lands with text names going out of the area. Sometimes they stay in, sometimes they get cut off by the neighbor or the sea. Part of the charm of a community mapping project is that its different all over and its not going to be exact. I recall DL'ing this map with the button shape in the middle so the latest compsite must be reasonably up to date.
    Whatever works for you is OK, both maps with the shield are the same, the only difference is the water is removed on the png version. I just figured with the water out of the way pasting the map would place the text on top of the water of the large map.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Nice work, and good back story Bogie. Inspires me to think about one for my own map now.
    Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks, If I have inspired you in any way then my work here is done!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    "Oh but you misunderstand us good sirs. We humans of the nation of Hallanicus smoke very little for it tends to ruin the palate when we partake of cheese. However, our allies, The Minotaurs of the county of Parnassus have requested that we try to secure this trade agreement. They would have come themselves but they thought that their large stature may frighten your folk, more than put them at ease, thus ruining the diplomacy.
    However, a Minotaur of such grand stature would smoke a great deal of the pipeweed. The amount they would smoke is proportionate to the amount your good hobbit folk would consume of our fine cheeses."
    Nice backstory Bogie. I really like it! It makes sense.
    Thanks, I wrote it down fairly quickly and hoped it would come together logically. I went for a slightly different take on JRR's story, but it does incorporate a lot of his ideas.

Ah, I was not aware of the Minotaur connection to this trade agreement. However, the consumption parallel still holds. While a minotaur would consume much more pipeweed at one sitting, so would he consume much more cheese ( if indeed they eat cheese ). Given the far different densities of cheese vs pipeweed, a pound of each is not equal. I am confident that an agreement can be reached, but it will require more negotiation, a compromise somewhere in the middle. Let's eat first.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Excellent story for an excellent map!
    Thanks, glad you liked them and thanks for the REP!

I was playing around with a grunge texture to see if I could make a decent ocean background instead of the flat blue. What do you think?

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShireLand-08-BluePaperOcean.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	83137

I like it. Makes the piece seem more three dimensional.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Artisan

*Sounds of trumpets and war horns. Jingling of ring mail and scraping of heavy axes. Mighty puffing. *

"Greetings neighbours. You know of us and we know of you.
    As you have this nasty lizard land not far from your northern island shores, we just bring you a gift. There has been battle ... err ... more of a slaughter actually.
    So we thought that you might appreciate this."

* The Dwarf produces a 2m large head of a toothy lizard artistically mounted on a spike *

"And now we might share some good ale with you, the travel over ocean has been hot and thirsty. Ah, yes ... don't even think about something that could lead to untoward misunderstandings. And don't ask yourself "What has it in its pockets ?" because chain mail has no pockets. So. Yes."

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking good... perhaps a little lighter color for the ocean?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post
    *Sounds of trumpets and war horns. Jingling of ring mail and scraping of heavy axes. Mighty puffing. *
    "Greetings neighbours. You know of us and we know of you.
    As you have this nasty lizard land not far from your northern island shores, we just bring you a gift. There has been battle ... err ... more of a slaughter actually.
    So we thought that you might appreciate this."
    * The Dwarf produces a 2m large head of a toothy lizard artistically mounted on a spike *

"And now we might share some good ale with you, the travel over ocean has been hot and thirsty. Ah, yes ... don't even think about something that could lead to untoward misunderstandings. And don't ask yourself "What has it in its pockets ?" because chain mail has no pockets. So. Yes."
    My my, it all sounds so bothersome and adventurous. Do stay for dinner, some nice mushrooms go well with a dark ale.

I think you've done a good job, given also that you are used to a different kind of maps.
    The ocean background is definetely better now.
    Well done.

Thanks for the nice comments Arsheesh, Tilt & Fabio!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234