Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Map 17 - The kingdom of Thraal - (Max's land)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Wip Map 17 - The kingdom of Thraal - (Max's land)

Hey all,

I didn't really had time to read all details and all entries background fluff, so not sure to know where there is political alliances or war threats (or what is the Cheese story ) but here's a first WIP of my map. Thraal was once what people would call some barbarian lands with nomad and savage tribes scaterring all around. 2 centuries ago, the whole land has been united by King Morgh-Ban. Since then, the lands slowly entered in a more civilized way of living. Cities and towns have been built, fortresses have been erected to protect the new kingdom and some general common laws started to be applied. Still, some deep primitive traditions of Thraal remained and they somehow explain how political system is working. First about the cities. Not all cities can pretend to be called "city" there. No matter the size, the amount of inhabitants, the thickness of the walls. The only ones that can claim the prestigious "Tal" (city) title must be ruled by a descendant of Morgh-Ban who haven't been hurt in the summer season (see after). Along years, Tal shift from one to another, and so does prestige and power aswell. The origin of the second tradition, which came from the deep ages of Thraal is no reminded anymore. Whatever, the fact is that every Thraal inhabitant's behavior is heavily affected by the seasons.
    When spring ("Hâr-Khal" - the days of gold) comes, everyone feels the need to deal with people, inside and outside the kingdom : bartering, trading and travelling become daily concerns for all.
    When summer ("Krûl-Kahl - the days of violence) comes, people are filled with strong blood and lust desires. Orgy, rapes, plunders, fights,battles and wars runs during this season. No need to say that this situation is an issue for the neighbor territories, especially because this also go out of Thrâal boundaries.
    At autumn ("Gebh-Khal - the days of peace), Thraal inhabitants tend to solve their issues with their own kind and with their neighbors (which appears pretty essential after the blood fury of the Summer!) Solving familial and neighborhood conflicts, internal and outside political diplomacy are the main activities.
    During the winter ("Lhûrn-Khal" -the days of death), Thraal enters in a deep religious spirit where everyone prays, venerates people who died during the year, builds tombs and necropols. In winter, Thraal boundaries are closed to everyone and no one is also allowed to go out the kingdom. Symbolically, the kingdom is dead for the rest of the world.
    So, yes, Thrâal isn't really a dangerous neighbor but undoubtedly a weird and unstable one. People better get used to their ways of living because it's always been like this and it won't never change.

Okay, on to the map now I'll be busy this month so I had to rush the work on this one or I probably won't be available to get a finished one on time.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thrâal1.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	82054
    Last edited by - Max -; 04-06-2016 at 07:56 AM.

Hey Max, I'm your neighbor to the South - Map 12. I wrote a little brief and will begin drawing my area this week. I just mentioned you in my thread as a northern neighbor.

Basically in good standing and trade along the northwestern/north central area. We'll keep to ourselves in the winter, although we think you guys probably take it a little too far, and use our eastern and southern routes to continue "living a normal life."

There is disputed territory in the Northeastern area and continues conflicts (probably more in the SUMMER), as your hordes, sex offenders and as we like to call them, ruthless smelly thugs descend upon our land. This region in rich in Silver and lapis lazuli and his controlled by the Indigenous tribes who were driven into the mountains many centuries ago. (It's across from where you have two square between the mountain ranges and north of your major southern mountain range.

Chick pea is both our neighbor. As always look forward to seeing yours develop.

Thanks for the informations Snodsy Let me know if there's things on my map that doesn't match your envision.

Another update. I'll probably stick with that soft/light/monochromatic color scheme (inspired by J. Ed's awesome work on ME maps by the way) If I'll have time, which is it unlikely, I'll go with full colors.

### LATEST WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thrâal2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	82058

Now, on to labels
    Last edited by - Max -; 04-05-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Hi Max, looking awesome already (wish i could work that fast...and good XD)! I was wondering already about making the borders/rivers fit together, since we are neighbours. If it's ok with you, i'd just overtake the placement of your eastern border-river, to make Johns work easier later on
    Cheers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Hey Max - glad you were able to get going.
    It looks beautiful so far. Great back story.
    That may explain how the old war started - some Nahaduan traders must have encountered your people in Krûl-Kahl.

@ Thanks Abu I've drawn the right bank of the river on the border so that should be all good. Did I made some mistake with it? I recall seeing this border river on the general map (can't really check right now)
    @ J. Thanks. Yup, never a good time to try trading with my people

This is looking really nice and the back story is interesting. Waiting for the next update.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    @ Thanks Abu I've drawn the right bank of the river on the border so that should be all good. Did I made some mistake with it? I recall seeing this border river on the general map (can't really check right now)
    No, no mistake at all. I just haven't put all my rivers and borders finally down yet and thought it would be better if the river/border is the same (i.e. overlapping) on both maps, as it slightly differs from the border on the general world map. Well, then i'll just copy the shape of this river as my border.

Btw. the cultural background is very nice, i guess there won't be much more than the annual skirmishes along the border-river
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Thanks Warlin

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    No, no mistake at all. I just haven't put all my rivers and borders finally down yet and thought it would be better if the river/border is the same (i.e. overlapping) on both maps, as it slightly differs from the border on the general world map. Well, then i'll just copy the shape of this river as my border.

Btw. the cultural background is very nice, i guess there won't be much more than the annual skirmishes along the border-river
    Anyway, I can provide you the coastline and the border river file if you want. This will help to avoid some junction between our two maps. Drop me an e-mail at maximeplasse(@)yahoo(dot)fr and I'll send it to you

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Fantastic, really like the softness of it, gives a sense of scale somehow. Interesting culture too!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast