Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP - World Creation (Mat'am)

Map

Thanks Pixie! I'm gonna look into those (I was actually just about to start googling plate tectonic simulation software.)

In the mean time I went old school and drew all over one of my daughter's toy balls (she won't miss it). It helped me wrap my mind around the movements to see them in 3D, everything gets weird around the 60 degree mark when it translates to paper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2261.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	82457

(Assuming I drew everything correctly) I noticed that things moving parallel and perpendicular to the lines of latitude stay pretty clean. It's when the movement is at an angle that it gets funky. So here's a what I'm looking at in regards to the movement on the boundaries.

Name:	Plate movements.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	504.2 KB 
ID:	82458

So based off those movements I broke my boundaries into Converging (blue), Diverging (Green), Lateral (Yellow), and I am not really sure (Pink). It's the I'm not sure category that I obviously have the most questions about.

Name:	Tectonicstake3.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	301.0 KB 
ID:	82459

Since, Pixie has given a lot of new reading to look at I'll let you guys throw some more advice at me while I peruse this stuff. And Seriously, thanks a lot guys!

Map

Alright, I've been doing a lot of reading and looking at plate maps and plate vectors (I've even played around with GPlates but that thing is more complicated than an evening or two can clear up) and it looks like for the 'weird' boundaries on my map speed is going to be important. So I arbitrarily assigned speed to my plates. Plates 2, 4, 7, 9, and 12 are my 'slow' plates, plates 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, and 11 are faster and plate 1 is the fastest (like australia). So this should do some interesting things to the boundaries. Plate 7 is now diverging everywhere, except its lateral movement against 12 (its not moving fast enough to keep up with plate 6). Plates 2 and 5 are now diverging as are plates 9 and 10 for the same reasons. Plate 4 is now diverging along its entire boundary with 1 and 3. and plates 6 and 8 are now 'keeping up with' plate 3 so there's no significant affect on that boundary. The small boundary between 4 and 2 is still confusing to me but its small and under water so I'm not super worried about it at the moment.

Giving me this:

Name:	Tectonicstake4.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	82489

Which led to this:

Name:	Landformstake2.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	82490

I am going to have to follow your project, since I've considered similar things occasionally. I did a pseudo-simulation world generation once on an alien planet without plate tectonics, but I haven't yet done plates.

Here's an idea to put in your back pocket: an easy way for you to kill the north-south symmetry without doing a whole lot of re-work to your existing plates is to redefine where your poles are while you're in a spherical projection and then re-project back to your preferred rectangular projection.

Map

So I think I'm pretty happy with my plates and the land forms on it. (unless anyone still sees any glaring errors) so I've gone ahead and thrown some elevation on it in preparation for biomes. I think it looks pretty good.

Name:	Elevation.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	364.3 KB 
ID:	82611

I've also sketched in currents (totally guessing on them based on a couple of wikipedia articles),....

Name:	GlobalCurrents.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	453.1 KB 
ID:	82612

and the global winds to see my "wet" and "dry" regions.

Name:	GlobalWinds.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	447.4 KB 
ID:	82613

and as far as the north/south thing I think I like that the world is south 'heavy' it kinda makes it different from earth, since we're north 'heavy'

Since a couple people have said they plan on following this to see how it goes, these are the threads I'm looking at for biome and climate information.

Facubaci's Climates and Biomes WIP
    Azelor's The Köppen–Geiger climate classification
    Geoff's Climate Cookbook
    Pixie's Climates, applying Geoff's Cookbook Tutorial
    Groovey's WIP Thread
    mbartelsm's Biome placement in a fantasy world
    Last edited by mwagner; 04-17-2016 at 11:55 AM.

Map

After following Alezor's climate tutorial I've changed my global currents, but something about it seems off to me. Would love to have some feedback. I think that I don't have good transitions from hot to cold.

Name:	GlobalCurrents.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	439.9 KB 
ID:	82643

Map

redid the elevations to add more levels in preparation for the biomes.

Name:	elevation2.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	591.0 KB 
ID:	82870

Name:	northernback hemisphere.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	632.8 KB 
ID:	82871

Name:	northernfront hemisphere.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	483.9 KB 
ID:	82872

Name:	southernback hemisphere.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	772.6 KB 
ID:	82873

Name:	southernfront hemisphere.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	506.8 KB 
ID:	82874

Well, here's my take on the currents:

Name:	Currents.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	859.6 KB 
ID:	82906

Colours:
    Red=Warm
    Green=Neutral
    Blue=Cold

It's largely the same as you version, but there are a few places where I did things a bit differently. For example, in the Southern hemisphere, I think in the westernmost Arctic-Equatorial "channel" the water flows from the Arctic. The orientation of the channel suggests this, and also there must be at least one "cold channel", because water does not pile up (in your version all the channels flow from the equator towards the arctic).

Map

Thanks Charerg! That helps.
    So I'm currently following Azelor's climate guide.
    I've gotten a little lazy and have only done one map, mainly because a) I'm a little lazy this week, b) I am really only looking for generalities for overall climate (cold/warm/warmer/hot, wet/wetter/dry) and not specifics so I figure this should still get me what I want. If that sounds like a bad idea let me know and I'll get over my lazy streak and go back and do two seasons.... (i might still do that anyways)

Here are my pressure systems:

Name:	atmospheric pressure.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	548.4 KB 
ID:	83165

My winds:

Name:	GlobalWinds2.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	679.7 KB 
ID:	83169

Temperature:

Name:	temperatures.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	586.1 KB 
ID:	83167

And my Wet/Dry Regions:

Name:	WetDry.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	490.1 KB 
ID:	83168

Map

Re-did the pressure and winds maps so I have one for the beginning and middle of the year.

January

Name:	GlobalWindsandPressire_January.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	704.0 KB 
ID:	83574

July

Name:	GlobalWindsandPressire_July.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	732.4 KB 
ID:	83575