Thread: The Red Epic, Strategy Battle game, personal work in progress

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Post The Red Epic, Strategy Battle game, personal work in progress

Hey everyone, i just wanted to share the maps i am working on in my own timefor my game setting "Song of Triumph". I have been writing my own set of rules for a strategy battle game involving large hexes and many different unit types. I may post this rule set to get feedback when its done, but it may take alot of printing and cutting out to play, so not sure how many people i can get in on it.

Anyway how one is the detailed map of Hyranden, and the other is the larger world map. Just black and whites right now but i will be updating with the finishes whenever i actually get the time to do so!

As for the game, please let me know if you would like a copy of the rules, not for distribution of course, but i will be happy to send you copy when they are completed.

Detailed Map

World Map

Thanks!
    Last edited by TheRedEpic; 11-15-2009 at 04:38 PM.

Guild Journeyer

Sounds interesting and that why they have Map Tools you post the rules and the images and people can cut them and make them work on that pretty easily.
    Without having to print them out.

looks interesting, but i am certain that folks who know more about how rivers work are going to comment on a few places where rivers branch as they head downstream.

streams tend to join up as they head downhill, away from the mountains, rather than break off and split as a number of your rivers seem to.

the style looks great though

Quote Originally Posted by philipstephen View Post
    looks interesting, but i am certain that folks who know more about how rivers work are going to comment on a few places where rivers branch as they head downstream.

streams tend to join up as they head downhill, away from the mountains, rather than break off and split as a number of your rivers seem to.

the style looks great though
    I'll bite.

The big river issues here are 1) as stated, many of the rivers split spontaneously, 2) several times the rivers connect the ocean on both ends, and 3) some of the lakes look to have more than 1 outlet.

The river splitting thing is geologically unlikely except for a few cases (deltas, swamps, very flat terrain with a mixed material (hard/soft) surface forming islands that rejoin most of the time).

2) comes from the idea of "water flows downhill" which means it can't flow from one ocean to the other, unless the river is just a channel.

3) is the same idea, water is lazy and flows down hill following the least likely path. A lake can have many inlets, but should have only one outlet at the lowest point of its "rim".

Of course any of these can be ignored/written off by liberal use of magic, engineering, or a complete abandonment of physical laws as we know them.

-Rob A>

I am not sure if I should reply, but I feel the need to say something in response to what I feel was a very sarcastic reply from The Red Epic.

My input and Rob's input were meant to be helpful and to let you know something that could help you grow as an artist and a cartographer.

It is hard to read tone in online posts, but your response came across to me as rather flippant and belittling towards us and our feedback.

I cannot speak for Rob, but from my perspective, we were only trying to help improve your project - not to knock you or your work down - (which incidentally is gorgeous - especially your coloured and textured maps.)

In any case, you are welcome to ignore physics and the likely behaviour of water in your world. Receiving feedback does not require a change of perspective or opinion.

Even so, it would be nice to be treated with some respect and to not have our views laughed at because they are different from your own.

If I read your tone wrong and your intent was completely friendly, my apologies.

Good luck with your project.

Phil.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

To RobA And Phillipstephen,

I apologize if my earlier reply seemed crass or sarcastic, and i have removed it. Honestly i am more than a little embarrassed. After reading it again, i admit that it made me sound like a bit of a jerk, and if i offended any of you guys, i am sincerely sorry. Yesterday was a bad day for me, and i may have overreacted with a remark that was uncalled for. I think we all have bad days and do/say stupid things, and yesterday was one of them!

I really appreciate you both commenting on my post, and i realize that your remarks are only for the betterment of the project and are both inciteful as well as useful. Thankyou, and i hope you can both accept my sincere apology.

~Jared
    Last edited by TheRedEpic; 11-18-2009 at 02:17 AM.

I missed this tempest in a teacup, but appreciate your apology.

One thing I have noticed about the guild membership is that there is almost always a high degree of respect shown, making it one of the nicest forums I participate in.

And if I was overly critical, it is only because I am jealous of your ability and that you are able to make a living doing something you obviously love. And I, unfortunately, am not.

-Rob A>

Must agree with RobA, this is one of the best forums around. And tho this may not be the thread to post this: I was also amazed by both the respect and the total lack of flaming. From experience I know this can only be done with dedicated community leaders that put much time and thought into the forum.... so thanks for this guys!

I might need to do some apologizing as well, just to be properly Canadian, and to recognize that The Red Epic was very graceful, respectful, and considerate in his reply to me - which tells me that he is a stand up dude - and we both might have had that 'bad day' syndrome of taking forum comments too seriously.

Everyone here is awesome. I concur.

Oh yah, and The Red Epic does make really beautiful maps.

Phil