Thread: Marsh lands

Guild Member

Post Marsh lands

I was just wondering.. how would you show marshlands on a map?

I was asked to make a map for someone, but I've never done marshlands, anyone here have any tips?

Post September mapping challenge

CCJAR, go look at the September 2008 Mapping Challenge - there are 30 entries and creating marshland/swamp was among the requirements on that mapping challenge. So you've got 30 examples on how to do it, each one slightly different so pick the one you prefer and ask for help.

If you're creating closeup swamps, that's more complicated but there are samples here as well.

I'm sure there's more answers than that to your question, but that's a start!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    CCJAR, go look at the September 2008 Mapping Challenge - there are 30 entries and creating marshland/swamp was among the requirements on that mapping challenge.
    What GP said.

For myself, what I did was use a splatter type brush with the eraser tool to cut out bits of the area to define the marsh(after adding some color/texture overlay to the area), thus letting my underlying water layer show through a bit. One thing to remember is that swamps and marshes are different, Marshes are shallow and typically many(most?) marshes are in tidal areas, so the water level may be almost nothing during low tide. Swamps are typically much deeper in comparison.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

Ok thanks everyone, this really helped a lot. I'm still making it, but I'll post what I've got when I'm finished, may be a while, working on final painting for class at the same time..

and thanks redrobes, though I'll have to wait to d/l those, 22mb take about a whole day to download on dial-up. lol