Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cadurca (temporary name) WIP

Default Cadurca (temporary name) WIP

Ok, I tested the compass rose I drew this afternoon and got a little bit carried away...

Here's the Wip for a region temporary named Cadurca. Celtic/Gaulish/Frankish setting with many islands that have quite an importance. I intend to fill my border with ... something but I dunno what yet. The rivers and mountains are mainly set, I'll draw them soon. Since I haven't finished my last project yet, it might move slowly but I'll keep Cadurca more simple than Kanoba's March ... I hope

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test rose.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	82274

Let me know what you think about it.

Good start, the compass fits beautifully, you did a really good job on it.
    Looking forward to more!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thanks Josiah ! I realize I'll have to rethink the position of my mountains ...

Beautiful compass! And interesting colors.

Thanks for the nice compliments. I wanted to try something new for the sea and just try something as coloring ain't my strong suit, hope I'll have some time to work on it soon.

Had some free time today so I went at it. Several hours of work and a ferocious hate of canopies and mountains later, here's the result.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	82584

There's still a lot of work, especially the north-west plateau that's full of surprises.

As usual, feel free to tell me what's good and what's not. Be harsh, I need to improve.

It's looking great. Fortunately I don't have anything harsh to say.

I like the simple style of the mountains (I don't know if you're going to add any more detail but they already look great)

The rivers look partly transparent, I'm not sure if they are but the look it, I don't really like it.

By the way, what's up with the red water?

That compass graces the map very nicely.. I wonder where you got it from..

Do you still have a ferocious hate of mountains and forest canopies? I think the work paid off.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thanks Josiah.

The rivers are partly transparent because I stamp copied the see layer, used it to roughly color the rivers and then used my river layer as a mask. I wanted a consistent style for the lake and didn't knew how do to a swift transition with the rivers.

Frankly, I don't know either what is up with the red water, I just wanted to try but I might link it with what is up on the plateau. I guess I'll also try a blue version.

And for the hate of canopies and mountains, I got it from doing so much in a short span of time. The canopy was a pain for my wrist (it tends to lock during long precise exercises) and I thought I wouldn't see the end of the (first pass at) shadowing and lighting mountains.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 04-15-2016 at 05:15 PM.

I thought the red water was very interesting and cool, I was just wondering if there was an explanation. But a blue version would also be nice to see.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

I like the red water too. I think it sets the map into a certain style that I really like. Unfortunately, I agree, the rivers look transparent. And because they are over the top of forests, it makes the river look like it is hovering above the tree line. That is unfortunate because I love the rest of this map. Since I don't really know how to use photoshop or gimp I have no suggestions for you on how to change it. Maybe you could re-draw the area of the forests where the river goes so there is a canopy split that reveals the rivers?

I know that is an awful lot of work so it probably isn't feasable.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to watching this one become a completed map.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast