Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first CC3 Map

Guild Novice

Map My first CC3 Map

Hello community,

I finished my world map for a Pen&Paper game today. But I am not very happy with the result. There are a lot of things which dont look so fine. I hope you can give me tips or correct something. The resolution is not very high so I am going to upload the FCW file.

Edit: Sorry, how I can upload FCW files??
    Btw, I want to add a overhaul version with text later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kampagnenkarte0041.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	7565  
    Last edited by Irion Schattenjäger; 11-07-2008 at 07:51 AM.

I liked the style, but wanted to see in HiRes
    Sorry, how I can upload FCW files??
    ZIP it.
    Last edited by joão paulo; 11-07-2008 at 07:42 AM.

Guild Novice

How I can make the resolution better?

Guild Novice

Here is the zip file. If I know how to make the resolution higher I would upload the file later.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Guild Journeyer

That's a great map, especially for a first try. You've included a lot of interesting detail that kept me looking at it zoomed in a buch.

Looking at it, here's how I'd tweak:

1) I think the mountain ranges are too dense, and too monocolor. Thin them out a bit, and use the varicolor mountain symbols, slightly tweaking the color every click or two. Yes, it's a pain, but it makes a huge difference.

2) Break up the monotony of the underlying green land. Make some transitional terrain -- desert and green, verdant land don't typically abut.

3) Use effects. An edge fade for where the land meets water, just like the one where the different bands of water meet.

4) That compass doesn't really fit the style of the map IMO.

5) Add some transparency to the whirlpool to get it to blend with the rest of the water.

Nice start!

That is a very nice looking map. Good Job Sir!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by loydb View Post
    That's a great map, especially for a first try. You've included a lot of interesting detail that kept me looking at it zoomed in a buch.

Looking at it, here's how I'd tweak:

1) I think the mountain ranges are too dense, and too monocolor. Thin them out a bit, and use the varicolor mountain symbols, slightly tweaking the color every click or two. Yes, it's a pain, but it makes a huge difference.

2) Break up the monotony of the underlying green land. Make some transitional terrain -- desert and green, verdant land don't typically abut.

3) Use effects. An edge fade for where the land meets water, just like the one where the different bands of water meet.

4) That compass doesn't really fit the style of the map IMO.

5) Add some transparency to the whirlpool to get it to blend with the rest of the water.

Nice start!
    Thank you for your compliment and your tips.

1) Oh no, you said it it´s a pain but I will try it after the weekend.
    2) I don´t find a nice texture for the underlying terrain. Do you know how to make a authenic texture? Yes but it´s right, it looks to me to artifical (hope its the right word), too.
    3) Ok, I am going to use the effects.
    4) Ohh, I agree to you, but before I didn´t see that. What is a nice way to fill the empty place?
    5) Work in Progress.
    Last edited by Irion Schattenjäger; 11-07-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Irion Schattenjäger View Post
    Thank you for your compliment and your tips.

2) I don´t find a nice texture for the underlying terrain. Do you know how to make a authenic texture? Yes but it´s right, it looks to me to artifical (hope its the right word), too.

4) Ohh, I agree to you, but before I didn´t see that. What is a nice way to fill the empty place?
    re: 2

Make a new sheet and add various solid blocks of colors or bitmap fills, then play with transparency and other effects. There's nothing inherently *wrong* with the green texture, you just want to break it up some. The colors don't have to be wildly different -- you just want to get some variation.

re: 4

Look at some of the decorative elements (sea monsters, ships, etc.), and for a compass rose that fits the map style a bit better. And you can always drop some un-named islands here and there for visual interest. If someone asks what's on them, just say "mostly sand"

Guild Novice

In this file, I change the effects of the sea (blur) and use more different background textures (with transparency).The isles in the north are now arboreous.
    But I´ve got a problem, I can´t erase the whirpool and the compass, why?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Irion Schattenjäger View Post
    In this file, I change the effects of the sea (blur) and use more different background textures (with transparency).The isles in the north are now arboreous.
    But I´ve got a problem, I can´t erase the whirpool and the compass, why?
    The COMPASS is situated on the VEGETATION Layer & MAP BORDER Sheet

While the Whirlpool is on the VEGETATION layer and the SYMBOLS sheet.

So, as long as the vegetation layer is not FROZEN (locked) you should be able to delete them.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast