Thread: My mapping project... The Universe is my oyester :)

Guild Member

Wip My mapping project... The Universe is my oyester :)

Its been awhile since I've posted anything here, but I figured I post that I finally started on my large mapping project.

I'm presently have all of my papers on the ready and I've started with the main superclusters. In the game, the superclusters are spread so far apart that if a ship was unfortunately magically teleported between them, they would see nothing. Spacecraft traveling between superclusters is about the same as crossing the North Atlantic in a canoe.

Not that I'm trying to forcefully keep players from trans versing these distances I do indeed make it an insane challenge since I keep many secrets of the story hidden in other clusters.

Anyway... The main map is drawn using CC2 in which it will become much more defined as I add systems, "travel lanes" within the clusters and some general links to data about the systems. Right now, the only system with any information is "Selena Galaxy \ ADS Cygni System" so clicking the name on the page will show the Astrosynthesis report (which will later on be redone using a mysql database to match the rest of my site. Out of all the heavily populated systems on the map, all but one is my creation.

The CC2 file is not exactly to scale, but it is a relative approximation of my game universe. However, the actual story only takes place in 3 clusters but there are others that can be explored. In the game, each cluster has a "specialty", and if a player manages to learn all "specialties" from the superstrings, they are heavily rewarded. However, this is not "all" of the universe at is occurs in the game. This is only 1/4 of the whole universe, but being those other clusters are so ungodly distant... I'm not going to bother with them until players get close enough.

As of this posting, the page isnt done as it takes a little time to make sure it all lines up correctly in the incarnation of the story. Many of these papers are at least 8 years old and the story has evovled a bit more since then.

So without further ado, here is the page. This page updates directly on the server as I work on the page. Sometimes, when my computer saves it into the temp directory, the page will return a 403 or a 404. If that happens, try again shortly after.

http://mgcjerry.net/Isicander_Project/superstrings.html

For the curious, everything on my windows G: drive is accessible online. No need to FTP to do any work involving that domain.

Also, there is not a lot of information posted on the mapping and stuff yet, so if anyone has any questions, I'll try to answer them as long as it doesn't leak any info with the current game. Comments, suggestions, criticism, etc is welcome.

Guild Member

Here is the "final" version of the map...

GIF image | 2200x1600 | 43.42 KB (44467 bytes)
    http://mgcjerry.net/Isicander_Project/MapLarge.gif

Blog Entries

Thats cool. Its a lot like outer planar stuff in D&D. I always wanted a map of all the planes too just like what your doing with your worlds.

Guild Member

Thanks Redrobes.

I'm also planning on mapping the other Astral Planes and such as they exist in the game as well with info on them. Which I'll have to use a touch of 3D to show the "depth" of the relative locations of the gates and worlds themselves. Not an easy task since I'll have to setup everything and make most of the models myself.

There is actually going to be an additional layer of "zoom" on this map later on where someone could click on the map, and view the systems of the galaxies, then a further level of zoom where they can view the systems themselves. Which of course the links on the superstring pages will also point to the appropriate locations as well.