Thread: A different kind of Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post A different kind of Map

Here is a style of map we have not seen in this Forum before I believe.

As some may or may not be aware I am talking a CCNA course (Cisco Certified Network Associate) to get my certificate for work.

Our current assignment is to come up with an IP Addressing scheme for a Make Believe company (I named mine BIG DADDY) with certain provisions etc.

Attached is my Diagram for my wiring & IP scheme for the assignment.

EDIT: Whoops wasn;t my most recent copy of the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCNA Assignment.PNG 
Views:	92 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	7591  
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 11-08-2008 at 01:37 PM.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

True, it's actually called a STAR Topology

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Can you use 200.100.0.0 for a LAN? I thought you had to stick with the reserved addresses.

Good on you for being kind to the poor guys who have to pull the cable. Just make sure you specify that those switches are physically close to the workstations they service.

If I have my way, I'm done pulling cable for the rest of my life. Did not enjoy.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

it's pretty a simplistic scheme.

The assignment is as follows:

Your ISP has assigned you a Network address of 200.100.25.0/24

Your company has 3 department (Finance, R&D , Sales), all in a single location, however, you would like the departments somewhat separated due to security reasons. Each department has approximately 10 hosts. As your company has been expanding recently you would like to ensure that you have at least 2 additional subnets and approximately 15 additional host addresses (per subnet) available for later use. You will NOT need to use VLSM in this assignment.

Your company has a web server that will be located in the Sales Department and will be directly connected to the router in that location. This server will be on it's own subnet.

You will configure your routers from a PC that is located in the Finance Department. This PC has a second NIC and LAN drop which will allow you to have a permanent connection to the router for configuration.

Be sure to use routers, switches, console cable(s), serial cable(s), crossover(s), straight through(s), etc. in your design. Don't forget to add the appropriate number of PCs to each subnet.

Routers will always be given the 1st available IP address on each subnet.
    My initial response to the assignment will be:

BIG DADDY Corp. has been assigned a Network address of 200.100.25.0/24 for it’s growing corporation. The following IP Addressing scheme addresses the following issues:

BIG DADDY has:
    · Three departments (Sales, Finance, R&D)
    · Each department has currently 10 hosts, and for security issues needs to be separated into separate subnets
    · BIG DADDY is in a period of growth and would like to have 2 additional subnets available
    · Each subnet (current and future) needs to have up 15 additional hosts, thus each subnet needs minimum 25 hosts (10 now for the above three, and 15 future growth positions)

With the above in mind, the following IP Scheme has been proposed:

HOSTS: 25 – 2 = 30 Hosts per Subnet
    SUBNETS: 23 = 8 Subnets

Thus the IP and Subnet Mask for BIG DADDY will be:
    200.100.25.0/27 or
    200.100.25.0 255.255.255.224

See Attached IP Scheme

NOTE While I am aware the assignment said I did not need to use VLSM I chose to anyways. A subnet of 255.255.255.224 means for just the Server an entire subnet of 30 hosts for only 1 Server, so I am wasting 29 Host addresses. Better to VLSM and use only a couple of IP's for the Server's Subnet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCNA IP Scheme.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	7628  
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 11-09-2008 at 04:43 PM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

I remember doing this assignment when I took the CNA classes. Now if I could only find time to take the cert exam