Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The City of Haerlech

Great job! Very impressive and inspirational! Congratulations, sir!

-Dan

Guild Apprentice

Lots of lovely detail! The drawn border and heraldry is especially impressive - it's a clear a lot of time and love went into this.

Wanted to thank and respond to everyone... this will be a long post
    [I'll have to be judicious with emoticons - you only get 10 in a post]
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    What else can I say that hasn't been said? Awesome, man. Awesome.
    Even if said before, I still appreciate it just as much D
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Look at all those labels! What a rich city for stories.
    Yeah, I've never done so many labels. Seyana was the most before this. PS was running at a crawl at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    This is simply amazing. I followed the original thread from the beginning and am so glad for you it finally came to end. It will definitely make the cartographers choice in the near future.

I would just suggest to maybe decrease the distance between the drawing and the edge of the blue background, seems a bit too much. And now I feel bad I said it since it is such an awesome map. It is crazy how much you have improved your style in the last year or so since I've been coming here more regularly.
    Congrats, congrats!
    Thanks for following and commenting long the way Barek.
    That was something I messed with several times. It took me quite a while to finally commit to a layout and then I kept changing the size of it.
    I tried some smaller sizes but just didn't feel right about them. Part of the size is due to the intent of printing it as a poster.
    And you're right - I've improved a lot over my time on the Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilgoth View Post
    So happy to see this finished. Amazing job Ed! I loved watching it, and seeing all small steps towards the goal of finishing it.

Rep for you!
    Thank you Ilgoth
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Extraordinary work. I really love how it turned out. The technical details are stunning.

+rep & rated
    Thanks so much SK
    Truly appreciate that.
    Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Very impressive work J. Going to take some time to explore this map in all its awesomeness tonight. There really is a great amount of small and creative details all over this map. Such a fantastic city. It would make a great scenery for a game.

Also I must add how much I enjoyed followed the progress of this map. Checked every WIP since day one, and it has been amazing watching your process. Inspirational and educational.
    Time for some new Cartographer Choice awards?

Cheers,
    Tainotim
    I was glad to have you along for the journey T.
    Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Congrats J! There is nothing more inspirational than seeing an artist devote so much time and effort to a single piece of work, especially when it is so fantastically done! It's things that this that point out the exact reasons why the challenges exist in the first place!

...Even if as ChickPea said, you're slightly late with the entry...
    Thanks GLS. I really appreciate that. It can be hard to commit that much time to one piece, for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    Stunning. A model of city map to follow for years to come. Congrats.
    Thank so much Warlin
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    This is possibly the best map I have seen on the guild and I am on my 9th year here. I know it took a year 'n all but even so, its quality unsurpassed. The thing I like most about it tho is not even the art which is already 10/10 but the attention to the layout and thought of the planning and how the city "works". Very often this is glossed over and romantically idealized to an extreme that it shows. I like the way you have the ramps down to the harbour and all of the paths the multiple cemetaries. No matter how deep you look the standard never drops and its like each pixel was placed lovingly. Its a masterpiece and way worthy of taking further into some kind of booklet print publication.
    Well, that is some pretty high praise and I really appreciate it Redrobes.
    Max brought up the main thing I didn't get in there... chimneys
    Maybe next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    OUTSTANDING!!!! Worth a whole chest of Golden Dragons! For me, it's a masterpiece, beautiful and even more when you spot all the details.

I guess you feel partly relieved and partly sad after achieving this awesome map. Glad and not surprised to read it's not Haerlech's end .
    Thanks Ilanthar. I do. Relieved and a bit worn out trying to rush to get done with the last stretch.
    I was glad to have you along on the journey while we were both working on big cities.
    Yes, there's more in store for Haerlech, to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by onez View Post
    Just beautiful.
    Excellent work!
    Thanks Filippo
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Great job! Very impressive and inspirational! Congratulations, sir!
    -Dan
    Thanks Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by whump View Post
    Lots of lovely detail! The drawn border and heraldry is especially impressive - it's a clear a lot of time and love went into this.
    Thanks whump. It really did.

And it wouldn't have happened without you all here on the Guild.
    I feel honored and privileged to have had such good comments, critiques and advice on this piece.
    I was going to do a shout out and list everyone who commented on the WIP but... that's a lot of people!!
    I just want to say that I really appreciated it along the way.
    The encouragement and the prodding me to make changes with good honest critiques.
    Abu - I still laugh about 'Master of Crops'

Outstanding.. I don't know many english words, and this left me speechless... This will be an "iconic" City map, for much time to come!!
    Congratulation J. but seriously, no chimneys?

This turned out very well!

It was interesting to see it evolve over time. Could you add the link to the WIP thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Outstanding.. I don't know many english words, and this left me speechless... This will be an "iconic" City map, for much time to come!!
    Congratulation J. but seriously, no chimneys?
    Thanks Tom I hope it stands tall for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    This turned out very well!

It was interesting to see it evolve over time. Could you add the link to the WIP thread?
    Thanks Azelor.
    Good suggestion. I added it to the first post.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

What's left to say? It's amazing from broadest glance to finest detail. I only found the thread when you were close to the finish line (must check the city mapping section more often!) but on the plus side, I now have a complete WIP thread to read through

As I mentioned over at DA, you've really set the bar with this one J. Just amazing work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Well that is entirely TOO MUCH WORK !! Other than the border / Matting being too wide in my humble opinion This is Exceptional. Off to my inspiration folder it goes !
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Awesome, amazing, brilliant!!
    So much details. This map is almost alive!
    Bravo!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast