Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The City of Haerlech

Map The City of Haerlech

Who would have thought that a simple monthly challenge would lead me to spend a year or more working on a map.
    In early 2015, I joined the February Regular challenge to map an evolving map.
    I had started something like 3 or 4 city maps trying to decide what to do.
    Ironically Sagemound was one of those sketches.
    I chose one and started the challenge with 3 days left. Needles to say I didn't finish by the challenges end.
    But I decided to keep it going with a WIP thread. That thread is now over a year old.
    I have to thank the Guild and many of you on here for giving me some great advice, critiques and encouragement while working on this.
    I really do appreciate it. I think it lead to this being a better map.
    I can really only upload a 50% version as the original was made large to be printed as a poster.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The City of Haerlech by Sirinkman [50%].jpg 
Views:	4169 
Size:	8.83 MB 
ID:	82455

And as I said in the WIP thread, this is not the end for Haerlech.
    Thanks Guild. Glad to finish this in time for the 10th anniversary.

Here's the WIP thread where it all happened.
    [ Thanks for suggesting that Azelor ]
    Last edited by J.Edward; 04-13-2016 at 01:27 PM.

Well let me be the first to congratulate you. You may have failed in the challenge (you know, from 87 years ago ) but what a result! It's just mind-blowingly fantastic [insert all the superlatives here]

I admire not only your mad skills but also your determination in sticking with it. The final result is an amazing piece of work that absolutely reflects the effort that went into it. It's simply stunning.

Map of the year!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

I really love this map, from the style to the colors to the font. Just everything about it says awesome! Glad you finally finished it!

Wow... I don't believe I have words for this right now. I'm breath taken.... just....wow...

It must be enormously satisfying to finish such an immense project.. amazing job.

Have you found your notebook yet?

EDIT: I see some people got in before me. I agree with ChickPea, map of the year.. or maybe century

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Well let me be the first to congratulate you. You may have failed in the challenge (you know, from 87 years ago ) but what a result! It's just mind-blowingly fantastic [insert all the superlatives here]

I admire not only your mad skills but also your determination in sticking with it. The final result is an amazing piece of work that absolutely reflects the effort that went into it. It's simply stunning.

Map of the year!
    Thanks CP Determination is definitely the key. I wanted to stop many times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    I really love this map, from the style to the colors to the font. Just everything about it says awesome! Glad you finally finished it!
    Thanks so much Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Wow... I don't believe I have words for this right now. I'm breath taken.... just....wow...

It must be enormously satisfying to finish such an immense project.. amazing job.

Have you found your notebook yet?

EDIT: I see some people got in before me. I agree with ChickPea, map of the year.. or maybe century
    Thanks Josiah.
    In fact, today is an especially good day to finish and feel relief, as I had to go do my taxes today... so I needed some good news.
    Haven't found the notebook yet though

There is so much to see here. Excellent work, and magnificent job sticking through it all!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

A masterpiece, J. Oh wait... no chimneys ? Meh Just kidding, an outstanding work.
    On a side note, you might want to check the left text which overlaps the title.
    Last edited by - Max -; 04-12-2016 at 06:45 PM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Indeed an Opus Magnum John! Your stamina you've shown with this work is phenomenal and it was a great pleasure to follow your WIP (and somehow prolong it with hubristic suggestions ). The frame with the golden dragon shield is only adding to it's epicness...

Name:	5wboK1B.gif 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	82453
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    There is so much to see here. Excellent work, and magnificent job sticking through it all!
    Thans jshoer
    Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    A masterpiece, J. Oh wait... no chimneys ? Meh Just kidding, an outstanding work.
    On a side note, you might want to check the left text which overlaps the title.
    Than you Max
    Darn chimneys!
    Good catch on the text. I'll have to go fix that right away.
    I changed some bits toward the end there and must have shifted some text and missed it. Thanks for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Indeed an Opus Magnum John! Your stamina you've shown with this work is phenomenal and it was a great pleasure to follow your WIP (and somehow prolong it with hubristic suggestions ). The frame with the golden dragon shield is only adding to it's epicness...

Name:	5wboK1B.gif 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	82453
    Thanks Abu. You're suggestions were particularly helpful, if somewhat painful at times.
    And I really appreciate them.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

What else can I say that hasn't been said? Awesome, man. Awesome.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast