Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: November Challenge: Zyrcine Cluster

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Ooo yeah, that's rockin now. Nice job.
    Thanks.

Blog Entries

This one is real nice generally. Kinda tugs on my vote strings. Its got a nice Christmassy feel to it too. Almost expect reindeer to be traveling through it on their galactic quest. But seriously the stars look like what you might actually see.

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I kind of liked the numbers bright, it gave it a VDU feel.
    The modularity of the XCF files allows for easy adjustment of things like that. When it is done, I plan on posting the XCF for general consumption.

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    This one is real nice generally. Kinda tugs on my vote strings. Its got a nice Christmassy feel to it too. Almost expect reindeer to be traveling through it on their galactic quest. But seriously the stars look like what you might actually see.
    I like color. Don't get me wrong, grayscale and muted colors have their place. I have just always wanted to do a color-coded spectral class map. This was my opportunity and I jumped on as quick as I could. Thank you for the positive comments.

Guild Adept

Some more fine tuning.

### Latest WIP ###
    Last edited by nolgroth; 11-11-2008 at 03:15 AM.

this looks really cool...... and in my opinion, hard to beat

just a question, but what program are you using? the stars make me think gimp, as they seem to be what the stars are like that i make in gimp

also, what are the 3 circles in the legend thingy for?
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Guild Adept

Gimp 2.6.2. Your instincts are right on the money!

The three circles are the logo for the Zyrcine faction. I intend to make more maps with the same kind of template. Each one will have a faction logo in the legend. Just for quick reference.

Guild Adept

Been tinkering with concepts. Added a black hole, but I am not 100% convinced.

### Latest WIP ###

Guild Adept

I think that I have my final entry. There are a bunch of concepts that I have yet to explore, but I think that this map serves the purposes that I wanted. It is extensible and editable (with the XCF file). Layers can be turned on or off to show or conceal specific stars or labels. New stars can be added and if one really wanted to, existing stars can be deleted.

This version adds a glow around the title, a smaller logo, and the addition of the black hole into the legend. In addition to the PNG export, I am also uploading a ZIP file with the GIMP XCF file, a Photshop PSD* file, and a PDF file with information on the steps I took to add stars and labels.

*The PSD file is exported from GIMP, but I was able to successfully open it up in Photoshop Elements 2.0 and it looked identical to the GIMP version.

### Latest WIP ###

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast