Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: November Challenge: Zyrcine Cluster

Guild Adept

Post November Challenge: Zyrcine Cluster

I just stumbled upon the November Challenge and thought; "What the heck? I've been wanting to build a new sector map anyway." This challenge really coincides with what I would like to do anyway so I figured I would stop putting off and try something.

Here is a WIP of the Zyrcine Cluster; a small group of densely packed habitable stars. Perfect for any space opera campaign you may decide to run.

### Latest WIP ###
    Last edited by nolgroth; 11-11-2008 at 03:15 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yee-hah! More new meat for the grinder.

Great start, looking forward to seeing more of this.
    Last edited by Steel General; 11-09-2008 at 02:57 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Stunning colours! One suggestion which might improve the 'coolness' factor is using a gradient to colour the numbers along the axes so they seague from one colour to the other over the numbers used....like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	number strip.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	7624  

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Yee-hah! More new meet for the grinder.

Great start, looking forward to seeing more of this.
    Thank you.

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Stunning colours! One suggestion which might improve the 'coolness' factor is using a gradient to colour the numbers along the axes so they seague from one colour to the other over the numbers used....like this:
    Thanks. Interesting idea. Mostly I put the numbers in there as a reference for placing the stars. The different colors arose as an interim solution to using a +/- system, which looked "cluttered."

I'll give it a shot.

Guild Adept

Post Updated WIP

Here is an updated WIP. I turned on the 'background" star layer and added some labels and a legend.

One thing I wanted to stick to with this particular project was modularity. Each star is on its own layer, as is the star's label. That way, they can be turned on and off to suit the needs of the individual Game Master. It is also easy to add new stars or remove stars that you don't like. The legend can be toggled as well. For this contest, all that doesn't matter much. Afterward, I will post a Zip file with the XCF (Gimp native format) for y'all to play with.

The background stars are a love/hate thing with me. On one hand, I think they add a lot of beauty to the map. On the other hand, it sort of confuses the scale and makes my OCD scream out. I've settled on the idea that this map is as much an artistic representation as it is a functional map and left them in.

I actually find that I am getting close to the end of the graphical part of this project. I want to try to draw in a trade route. I tried that once already, but it looked nasty. I have some experimenting to do. I may also try a nebula. Not sure about that one yet.

Enjoy.

( That was much longer than I intented. )

### Latest WIP ###

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks really nice...I mean really. All except for the number colors (IMO). Might wanna gray 'em up a bit or fade 'em out a bit. The brightness is eye catching and distracting. Otherwise this one looks really nice...I mean really
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept

Thank you for the compliment. Regarding the dim numbers, how's this?

### Latest WIP ###

Guild Adept

Hmmm. Don't much like the trade route. It isn't bad, but I don't think it adds anything. Out it goes.

( Treating this thread like a dev blog. )

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ooo yeah, that's rockin now. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast