Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making planets, moons, and suns in Photoshop

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Allrighty - that would make sense.

I can reconvert it to a .PDF once you make any needed changes.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ok, fixed and re-upped...it was Spherize. Make sure that I saved the doc correctly and didn't just re-up the old one.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Ok, fixed and re-upped...it was Spherize. Make sure that I saved the doc correctly and didn't just re-up the old one.
    Allrighty new version of the .PDF posted. Hope you don't mind but I did a bit of editing. Reduced image sizes, added some spacing between list bullets, emphasized things I felt were important such as commands, etc.

It shrunk the number of pages down to around 18.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Wow, awesome! I have Lunar Cell, but find it lacking for anything that may require a close zoom-in. (Although it makes better clouds than I can make on my own so far.)

-waystar

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I'm amazed this tutorial hasn't reached 5 stars....I'm going to edit the orignal post to add a little encouragement...
    Rated (with 5 stars, of course) even though I don't have photoshop! It looks like some of this is portable to GIMP, so that's exciting!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Rated (with 5 stars, of course) even though I don't have photoshop! It looks like some of this is portable to GIMP, so that's exciting!
    Other than the lighting effects, I would think the entire thing should be portable over to GIMP...but don't take that as gospel from me.

@Ascension - Well it seems like I have "spread enuff love" around - so I dub thee newly repped *bonk*
    Last edited by Steel General; 11-13-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks guys! I like to spread the knowledge so now we can all make some halfway decent looking planets and not look like noobs I think tonight I'll give a crack at doing one at a larger size and make a few experiments for future edits. As far as the lighting effects filter goes, one could probably get by with selecting by color medium gray to black and just deleting them and apply a bevel/emboss to em. Haven't tried it yet but it's sort of a work-around for Gimp, I'm sure someone more proficient with Gimp could test that.

Steel -- thanks for the edits.
    Last edited by Ascension; 11-13-2008 at 03:45 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept

I wish there were some sort of "Translate Photoshop Lighting Effects to GIMP Lighting Effects" chart somewhere. Other than that, the Select > Color Range is the only thing that strikes me as an immediate problem.

Haven't had much time to play around with the concepts though and really I am a GIMP neophyte. I'm sure Bryguy or RobA would have those answers readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by nolgroth View Post
    I wish there were some sort of "Translate Photoshop Lighting Effects to GIMP Lighting Effects" chart somewhere. Other than that, the Select > Color Range is the only thing that strikes me as an immediate problem.

Haven't had much time to play around with the concepts though and really I am a GIMP neophyte. I'm sure Bryguy or RobA would have those answers readily available.
    there is actually a tool like Select > Color Range in GIMP. Just, GIMP calls it Select by Color. In the toolbox, its looks like a hand pointing at a red cube, with a blue cube above the red and a green cube below it. Only thing is you cant do the fuzziness of 200 thing

Ive been busy so I havent really had time to modify this for GIMP, although modifying the earthlike planet for gimp wont be that hard, as just before this came out I figured out how to do the same sort of thing
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast