Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making planets, moons, and suns in Photoshop

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    there is actually a tool like Select > Color Range in GIMP. Just, GIMP calls it Select by Color. In the toolbox, its looks like a hand pointing at a red cube, with a blue cube above the red and a green cube below it. Only thing is you cant do the fuzziness of 200 thing
    I thought that might be the same kind of thing, but I wasn't sure. Especially since there is no fuzziness setting. I'm sure there is a way to fake it. Problem is my Google-Fu has been weak in regards to finding stuff about translating PS to GIMP.

Ive been busy so I havent really had time to modify this for GIMP...
    Hey I understand. One of the reasons I had to leave my latest WIP as my entry for this months challenge is because of business. I was playing around with trying different things and I have to say that the GIMP lighting effects can come up with some interesting results. Namely when you add bump maps with them. But that is aside from this tutorial. I will continue to try and see what I can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by nolgroth View Post
    I thought that might be the same kind of thing, but I wasn't sure. Especially since there is no fuzziness setting. I'm sure there is a way to fake it. Problem is my Google-Fu has been weak in regards to finding stuff about translating PS to GIMP.
    My guess that the equivalent to fuzziness is either the Threshold slider (which controls the amount of matching colour to select) or the Radius (when feather edges is selected - that controls the feathering of the selection)

What does the fuzziness setting actually change in PS?

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Having used both programs I would say that the Threshold slider is the equivalent to Fuzziness.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well I use it mostly when doing the clouds stuff in B/W so when I Select > Color Range then use black as the color choice...the Fuzziness also selects all other colors visible within 200 (something) of solid black. This, then, selects all of the darker grays and some of the medium grays (but not all the way up to 50% gray).

I'm guessing that the 200 something is a range 200 above and below the color code hexadecimal. So if there are other colors showing, say greens and blues, some of those might get selected as well, given they are dark enough. So when using Fuzzy Selecting with colors you have to set the Fuzziness down to avoid including things you don't want.

What would really be useful is a map of the color code hexadecimals That way I could test it out for accuracy.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Having used both programs I would say that the Threshold slider is the equivalent to Fuzziness.
    yea i have have the cs4 trial, and so i brought up both gimp and cs4 and tried it out on both, and threshold is the best you can do for it. I would say set the threshold to about 50-100, because most anything higher than that selects almost the entire image.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

hmm, after experimenting all day, i cant seem to figure out a good way to make a sun

oh well, i was bored and made myself a planet tho

p.s. I just love my clouds dont know why, but i do
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wolrd.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	813.1 KB 
ID:	8074  
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Guild Adept

The clouds are awesome. Cool pic.

Wow. Just wow. Awesome tutorial. I repped you for it - well deserved.

Once I have a decent world map to start with, I'm SO making a planetery view of it. Now to get decent results on my continents...

Playing with your continental tut, and RobA's as well, to see what I like best. It'll come in time. <sigh>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks, mate. Don't push yourself too hard to come up with your own style...mine has taken about 5 years to develop.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept

Just an update. I went through the tutorial using a combination of Gimp 2.6.2 and Photoshop Elements 2.0. While I wouldn't call the results as "pretty" as Ascension's, I was able to pump out a reasonable barren planet picture.

Thanks Ascension.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast