Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making planets, moons, and suns in Photoshop

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Tutorial [Award Winner] Making planets, moons, and suns in Photoshop

Ok here's the Planet-Making Guide for PS users and the finished pics from the tut. This is by no means as nice as some of the "paid for" plug-ins but this is meant to be quick and easy to replicate and easy to modify. It can even be turned into an action, I just haven't done that as I like to change things around. Ultimately it has very little to do with mapping unless your mapping solar systems (which I am in this current challenge). I've ran through it once so it might not be totally polished so if you get confused let me know. It's a Word document, by the way. Hope you all like it.

:EDIT:
    IF YOU FOUND THIS TUTORIAL HELPFUL, PLEASE RATE IT BY CLICKING ON THE 'RATE THREAD' BUTTON AT THE TOP OF THE POST TO ENCOURAGE THE TUTORIAL AUTHOR TO WRITE MORE TUTORIALS!
    -Ravells, Community Helper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planet tut 1.jpg 
Views:	551 
Size:	333.1 KB 
ID:	7637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planet tut 2.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	548.5 KB 
ID:	7638   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planet tut 3.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	357.3 KB 
ID:	7639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planet tut 4.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	7640  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ravells; 11-13-2008 at 08:32 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept

Wow. I am so going to try converting the concepts over to GIMP. That is one cool tutorial. Too bad I cannot rep you. Must have gotten you before for a monthly challenge or something. Anyway, hats off to you.

Awesome and very didactic.

I pity not to use ps here.

however I REP+ you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    This is by no means as nice as some of the "paid for" plug-ins
    You are kidding! This knocks the socks off any plug-in I've seen, including Lunar Cell.

Thanks a million for postng - I wish I could give you six stars for this tutorial.

thanks Ascension!

Ravs

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great job my man!...you win an all expenses paid trip to Phloston Paradise!!

I'd beat you soundly about the head with my Cudgel of Repping but it appears you're still recovering from the last beating I gave you..

Thread duly rated.

For those of you who may be on slower internet connections, I have converted Ascension's MS-Word file to a .pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ascensions_Planet_Tutorial.pdf  
    Last edited by Steel General; 11-13-2008 at 07:14 AM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks a million for the conversion Steel, I really do appreciate that since I haven't gotten the converter thingy myself. I hope that blue alien chick has recovered from her bout of "indigestion" so that I can hear her sing some arias.

Nol, Joao, Ravs...thank you for the kind words...it's what keeps me going.
    Last edited by Ascension; 11-10-2008 at 06:15 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Quote Originally Posted by nolgroth View Post
    Wow. I am so going to try converting the concepts over to GIMP.
    give me a week and ill do it for you

but his does look good, i wanna see how you did the sun, as suns have always for me been just a bright dot with a lens flare

and from the looks of it, you have done the photoshop equivilent of what i do to make my earthlike planets

edit: browsing through it, it looks very good

just a thought tho, for the ring, maybe make the gradiant one that is black and white (black then then then black etc) and then add black and white noise (i use hsv noise for that in gimp) and set the mode to screen, then use some coloring tool (for gimp i use colors--> color balance) and make the lighter parts, none of the black parts, whatever color you want (for gimp, using the color balance, that would be mostly highlights, and that other one, cant remember it... but basically all but shadows .

That makes it look more like its made up of like rocks and such caught in its gravity and orbiting it, since thats what most rings are made of
    Last edited by bryguy; 11-11-2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: a thought
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Would be very grateful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plan.png 
Views:	591 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	7683  
    Last edited by joćo paulo; 11-11-2008 at 07:09 AM. Reason: That was all I could do.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Ascension - I think I found a typo (actually its more like something was left out)...

Within step "n" of the Earth-like planet section it says: "Filter > Distort = 100".

Which distort filter are you referencing?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

It's spherize, I think. I'll check it after work and re-up it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast