Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apr / May 2016 Lite Challenge: RedRiverGorge

Wip Apr / May 2016 Lite Challenge: RedRiverGorge

Campsite sitting atop a valley below. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camp1.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	82911

In college a trip to the red river gorge (central kentucky - cave country) camped atop a ridge - at twilight, "Nights In White Satin" - by the Moody Blues, was playing from the valley below.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Looking pretty good snodsy! Those cliffs must have taken a while to dawn but work well.

One thing it may be cool to try is to make it more dusky looking as darkness is starting to settle. Obviously not too dark as then all your hardwork is lost, but just at that twilighty stage, then put a little bit of glow around the camps to give it some real ambience.

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Looking pretty good snodsy! Those cliffs must have taken a while to dawn but work well.

One thing it may be cool to try is to make it more dusky looking as darkness is starting to settle. Obviously not too dark as then all your hardwork is lost, but just at that twilighty stage, then put a little bit of glow around the camps to give it some real ambience.
    I'm thinking that, I actually have a black layer that I've tried transparency and gradients on, but not satisfied yet. I have the fires on the top layer over the black, which really makes them glow, so I'll keep trying, cause I agree it matches my remembrance of the event as a twilight event. I saw you entered this challenge too, looking forward to seeing yours develop

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Thanks, I hope you do manage to get it working, but lighting is always so tricky to do. I don't know if it will make any difference, but rather than having the fire glow on top as a separate layer, you could try subtly erasing from the black transparency (from a concentrated centre). You could then try using a subtle orange, fairly transparent brush to fill in those holes just very faintly.

Whatever you do, just play around and I look forwards to seeing where you take it!

Looks great, wonderful backstory! My wife & I went to Mammoth Caves in 1980, think that is in the same area.

this is a very interesting looking map! Where is Red River Gorge? I don't recognize the name...
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Hey Bogie and ladiestorm, this small gorge is in central kentucky, close to Mammoth Caves where limestone has eroded away in underground rivers. Maommoth Cave is a nice trip. I've been up to your next Bogie to Arcada. Would love to do a Maine coastal town some time as a map project.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Hey Bogie and ladiestorm, this small gorge is in central kentucky, close to Mammoth Caves where limestone has eroded away in underground rivers. Maommoth Cave is a nice trip. I've been up to your next Bogie to Arcada. Would love to do a Maine coastal town some time as a map project.
    Where I am in southern Maine, the coastal area is very over developed, but I think the northern coastal fishing villages would be interesting to map. My wife and I will be in Acadia Park in June for a conference in Bar Harbor. Beautiful scenery in that area.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking good - love the line work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

### Latest WIP ### Apr/May 2016 Lite Challenge: Red River Gorge

Update with night sky - still work to do there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camp2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	83027

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast