Thread: Wilbur won't run

Default Wilbur won't run

I have problem with Wilbur. I downloaded x64 version from this site: https://web.archive.org/web/20130129...on/wilbur.html
    It's that file: https://web.archive.org/web/20130129...ur64_Setup.zip
    Unpacked, installed, trying to run. It can't start - needs "mfc100.dll" - so I got the .dll from the Internet, placed it in Wilbur's folder, trying to run it again. Still doesn't work - says that "application wasn't started properly" (I don't know how it sounds in other language versions), error number is 0xc000007b. I read that it comes mostly from mixing 32-bit software with 64-bit dll or vice versa. Tried different combinations, downloading different versions and placing them together. Didn't work. I'm still trying, maybe there's some combination I overlooked, but it looks really bad at the moment. Does anybody have some idea?

@Edit: OK, just as I posted the thread, I found the combination that worked. Then I had to download also Vcomp100.dll and now it runs.
    Last edited by Ptakub; 04-25-2016 at 04:35 AM.

(posted just in case anyone has similar problems)

Step 0: download from the current home page at http://www.fracterra.com/software.html instead of other locations. The original web site at http://www.ridgenet.net was downed without notice when the ISP decided they didn't want to maintain something that they were supposed to as part of their monopoly grant from the local city.

Step 1: get the Visual Studio 2010 SP1 runtime installer from Microsoft. Don't download random DLLs from the internet, please.

Step 2: install the VS2010 runtime.

Step 3: install Wilbur 1.83 (or the current version).

Step 4: Profit!

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    (posted just in case anyone has similar problems)

Step 0: download from the current home page at http://www.fracterra.com/software.html instead of other locations. The original web site at http://www.ridgenet.net was downed without notice when the ISP decided they didn't want to maintain something that they were supposed to as part of their monopoly grant from the local city.

Step 1: get the Visual Studio 2010 SP1 runtime installer from Microsoft. Don't download random DLLs from the internet, please.

Step 2: install the VS2010 runtime.

Step 3: install Wilbur 1.83 (or the current version).

Step 4: Profit!
    MR. Slayton is you? I am Сolonist.

It's me. I updated the 1.84 download page to mention the need for the redistributable.

On to your problem: reading an XYZ text file using Wilbur. The format is very simple: each line has three numbers on it that Wilbur interprets as horizontal position on the world, vertical position on the world, and altitude. Because of the simple nature of this file format, there is no guarantee that there is a solid mesh.

The tessellation tool can take a cloud of XYZ points and render a height field from it. In version 1.84, I modified the tessellation tool to read the XYZ format described above into its tessellation and the triangulate that cloud into a tessellation. That tessellation can then be used to render a surface. The tool is a little primitive and it will be up to you to figure out the tessellation extents.

How to do it:
    Examine your txt file and determine the minimum X, maximum X, minimum Y, and maximum Y values in the file. Also ensure that your file has Z values other than all 0. WIth Z, you won't have an interesting surface.
    Install Wilbur 1.84.
    Install the Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 redistributables.
    Start Wilbur
    Use Surface>>Map Info and set the Top to your maximum Y, Left to your minimum X, Right to your maximum X, and Bottom to your minimum Y value.
    Use Surface>>Size to set your desired output resolution
    Use Window>>Tesselation Tool to open the Surface Tesselation window.
    Use File>>Load on the Surface Tesselation window to open the Load Tesselation file dialog.
    Pick your txt file with the mesh in it and click OK. You should see white over your map where the tesselation is. If the number of points in the tesselation is similar to the number of points in the map, then your map may appear solid white.
    Click the Generate button on the Surface Tesselation window to make the height field.
    Use Window>>Tesselation Tool to dismiss the Surface Tesselation window and reveal your surface.

It's me. I updated the 1.84 download page to mention the need for the redistributable.

On to your problem: reading an XYZ text file using Wilbur. The format is very simple: each line has three numbers on it that Wilbur interprets as horizontal position on the world, vertical position on the world, and altitude. Because of the simple nature of this file format, there is no guarantee that there is a solid mesh.

The tessellation tool can take a cloud of XYZ points and render a height field from it. In version 1.84, I modified the tessellation tool to read the XYZ format described above into its tessellation and the triangulate that cloud into a tessellation. That tessellation can then be used to render a surface. The tool is a little primitive and it will be up to you to figure out the tessellation extents.

How to do it:
    Examine your txt file and determine the minimum X, maximum X, minimum Y, and maximum Y values in the file. Also ensure that your file has Z values other than all 0. WIth Z, you won't have an interesting surface.
    Install Wilbur 1.84.
    Install the Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 redistributables.
    Start Wilbur
    Use Surface>>Map Info and set the Top to your maximum Y, Left to your minimum X, Right to your maximum X, and Bottom to your minimum Y value.
    Use Surface>>Size to set your desired output resolution
    Use Window>>Tesselation Tool to open the Surface Tesselation window.
    Use File>>Load on the Surface Tesselation window to open the Load Tesselation file dialog.
    Pick your txt file with the mesh in it and click OK. You should see white over your map where the tesselation is. If the number of points in the tesselation is similar to the number of points in the map, then your map may appear solid white.
    Click the Generate button on the Surface Tesselation window to make the height field.
    Use Window>>Tesselation Tool to dismiss the Surface Tesselation window and reveal your surface.
    MR. Slayton good day!!! I am sorry for interval. I am testing new function, and have 3 new problem. 1) I create test map 128*128, and hight map 0-20, after make XYZ, and load this XYZ, and i got this map, but hight this map 0-19,998! But this is a little problem.
    2) I try create and import 3 test XYZ map: 1024*1024, 2000*2000, 4000*4000 size, but willbur not work. I think think this is big map for import for willbur, but i wait many time at import.
    And Last 3-rd problem, for me((( I open in TEXT EDITOR XYZ file create in Terrain Builder, it turned XYZ(Terrain Builder) file and XYZ(Willbur) is different format((( But Terrain Builder can import XYZ(Willbur). So new fucntion for willbur import XYZ(Willbur) is useful, i hope you know this.

I create map 4096*4096, and i almost do it this. I thinked, i can do it this witout this function, i make this map in willbur, and after Edit this map in Terrain Builder without export map in Willbur.

And MR. Slayton i am sorry for my English language, i just russian man, live in Moscow. In Willbur i create Chernobyl direct map size 30,72*30,72 km for game ARMA 3.

I haven't been able to replicate the height scaling problem that you mentioned.

The Tesselation tool (especially the dialog) wasn't really intended for the huge numbers of points that importing a raster image requires it to do. When you say that Wilbur doesn't work, do you mean that the system freezes or that it crashes? If it freezes, the most likely cause is updating the user interface on the Tesselation dialog (a 512x512 image took a couple of minutes to update the dialog on my system, but it did eventually respond: a 1024x1024 image might take 10 minutes to respond in this case, 2048x2048 would take 40 minutes, and so on). If it crashes, that is a different problem altogether.

If you can find me some information on what your desired file format looks like then I might be able to get something working for you. I have no knowledge of the ARMA 3 system beyond what a couple of minutes with Google taught me.

I haven't been able to replicate the height scaling problem that you mentioned.

The Tesselation tool (especially the dialog) wasn't really intended for the huge numbers of points that importing a raster image requires it to do. When you say that Wilbur doesn't work, do you mean that the system freezes or that it crashes? If it freezes, the most likely cause is updating the user interface on the Tesselation dialog (a 512x512 image took a couple of minutes to update the dialog on my system, but it did eventually respond: a 1024x1024 image might take 10 minutes to respond in this case, 2048x2048 would take 40 minutes, and so on). If it crashes, that is a different problem altogether.

If you can find me some information on what your desired file format looks like then I might be able to get something working for you. I have no knowledge of the ARMA 3 system beyond what a couple of minutes with Google taught me.
    MR. Slayton thanks for help and for the Willbur. I decided while i do it this map without this fucntion. I wonna ask you, your's programm Fractal Terrains 3, this programm analogue at Willbur or not?

Blog Entries

if all you need to do is convert a raster to a mesh
    meshlab or blender will do it
    BUT adding the lines and faces to the vertexes ( raster pixels) will make a HUGE file

you can end up with a 1 GIG mesh from a 2 meg raster
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Fractal Terrains and Wilbur share many features (they were once the same code base). Fractal Terrains is more focused on whole-world editing with export for Campaign Cartographer, while Wilbur is more focused on basic heightfield editing. Features have tended to wander back and forth between the two systems over time.

Fractal Terrains and Wilbur share many features (they were once the same code base). Fractal Terrains is more focused on whole-world editing with export for Campaign Cartographer, while Wilbur is more focused on basic heightfield editing. Features have tended to wander back and forth between the two systems over time.
    Thanks a lot MR. Slayton)