Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: November Entry: Pocketwatch

Guild Member

Post November Entry: Pocketwatch

So I'm throwing this together but space is really not my fortey (spelling?)

Anywho, I have a fascination for the steampunk sub-culture. I wanted to make a sort of portable Orrey for the space-traveler on the go, so I took the mechanism and shrunk it down to pocket-watch scale. Found a photo of a pocket watch (source) and replaced the time dial with my own solar-system dial.

You have to use some imagination: the little planets would orbit the sun the same way the hands of a clock rotate.

Might add some additional details, but this is pretty much it.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SolarSystemWatch.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	7657  

That is a great idea ! Maybe a couple of details could make it better, though (I think...).

- Did you intentionally left the original background ? If yes, keep it that way but I wonder if another background wouldn't fit better (maybe a simple black bg, or another picture that would emphasize the steampunk look of the whole thing)...

- I think the hands themselves could use a bit more substance. Maybe a "Bevel and Emboss" layer style if you are using PhotoShop... I think it would really help for the realism.

Anyway, great job. Hope my ideas can help...
    Back to business

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korrigan View Post
    - Did you intentionally left the original background ? If yes, keep it that way but I wonder if another background wouldn't fit better (maybe a simple black bg, or another picture that would emphasize the steampunk look of the whole thing)...
    The background was semi-intentional... I'm worried a background would remove the focus from the subject of the image though: the map. I'll experiment though... maybe something basic like a coridor with copper piping.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrigan View Post
    - I think the hands themselves could use a bit more substance. Maybe a "Bevel and Emboss" layer style if you are using PhotoShop... I think it would really help for the realism.
    Ah, good thinking, I'll add that in. Still new to the whole Photoshop world, especially since I usually do my stuff by hand. I know what I want to do to the image, i just don't always know how.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Brilliant...maybe an animated gif?
    The problem with a gif is the size of the image... I'm also not sure of the difficulty involved. But once I finish the look, I'll see what animating would entail.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is another super cool idea...lovin it. I would add a background for the watch face sort of like the Ystraad map but with a brushed metal texture...like a bronze. Then put in a drop shadow of the planets and hands to make them stand up from the face. Lookin sweet so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Darken View Post
    The background was semi-intentional... I'm worried a background would remove the focus from the subject of the image though: the map. I'll experiment though... maybe something basic like a coridor with copper piping.
    I'd say use the graphic basics : use color and/or saturation contrast and direction to put the focus where you want it to be. e.g. if you use a black and white background, your watch will naturally be the main element.

Quote Originally Posted by Darken View Post
    Ah, good thinking, I'll add that in. Still new to the whole Photoshop world, especially since I usually do my stuff by hand. I know what I want to do to the image, i just don't always know how.
    Lots of tutorials here and anywhere on the web. If you need some help with a specific question, I guess me and some other can help (I'm not that good at mapping but I definitely can use Photoshop )
    Back to business

Guild Member

I'm trying to learn some basics for 3D studio max in time to try making this in 3D, but I likely won't finish (again ).

maybe I'll be ready by next month?

Whoooo-hoooo ! I think it takes more than a few days to learn such basics in 3DSMax
    Back to business

I think to add some more interest and make the pocket watch even more useful for charting a flight path perhaps you could add in some orbit rings like the attached, and maybe put some sort of coordinates around the outside of the "face".

Name:	attachment.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	7921  
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    I think to add some more interest and make the pocket watch even more useful for charting a flight path perhaps you could add in some orbit rings like the attached, and maybe put some sort of coordinates around the outside of the "face".
    ah, but the problem with the elliptical orbits is that the hands would have to somehow change size

for those interested though, I'm coming along with my 3DS Max learning: attached are 2 early renders.
    1. The glass is too refractive (bends the light too much); you can see this especially in render2. It should appear as a glass cover over the faceplate, but it is instead acting as a lens... I may have to turn refraction off completely at the loss of some realism.
    2. I'm trying out gems, but I may use a more literal representation of the planets.
    3. Things to finish modeling: clock hands, knob, chain, cover, (faceplate background?, scene background?, additional details?)

[P.S.: Odd the black backgrounds of the PNGs are instead transparent... oh well ]

Name:	NovChallenge-v01-render1.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	7933   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NovChallenge-v01-render2.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	7934  

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast