Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncharted Arctic Island (Commission)

Wip Uncharted Arctic Island (Commission)

This is actually a requested map, with some specific requests. I call it a commission, because I was asked to make this map for someone else, and I'm following his guidelines... but the truth is, my husband asked me to make this for his campaign. Does it count a commission if I'm not getting payed(although some would argue that as my husband I get pretty much what ever I want anyway... and they'd be mostly correct! lol)

The specifics for this map. A fairly small arctic type island, uncharted and undiscovered(which means no inhabitants other than possibly animals or monsters), with one massive solitary mountain, in the south east, and snowy hills. The rest was up to me. So this is what I have so far.

Now I have no idea where this is in his world, he mentioned forests, which is why I have them... but he also mentioned a fairly desolate island... so I did my best to represent that.

This map is far from finished...and I'm looking for suggestions on what I might find on an arctic island to bring a little extra *umpf* to it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uncharted Isle02lrg.PNG 
Views:	116 
Size:	4.36 MB 
ID:	83056

as always feel free to comment, suggest, rate, or bolt as you see fit!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

One thing you'd be likely to see if there's a large ice mass nearby, might be some glaciers drifting down the currents around the island.
    Also, i'd try adding some hills beneath the tree layer. at the moment it looks kind of strange to me since i can see the ground through the canopy, but all the forested areas are on flat ground, whereas there is almost no flat ground on the 'clear' areas of the map.
    Having the island feature some 'pebble beaches' might also be a nice touch, and is something not uncommon on arctic islands.
    You might even scatter some glacial erratic - boulders of a different rock composition that were deposited there in the past by glacial ice.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very nice look to this. ... I agree with Phanues, very good pointers there. Two more things that will make it even better is a frame of sorts around it to .. well, frame it. ... and a compass, gotta know which way is north

Feel free to take a compass of mine if there are any you like - they are in my signature
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

This island doesn't look very uncharted.

What kind of campaign is your husband planning?
    I would suggest extending the top left corner further out so it has a more natural looking shape. (I could be completely wrong though lol - I'm not a cartographer!)

good points everyone! I've actually deleted all of the forests and will be remaking them, since they are going to be a lot less. I'm also going to be changing the land mass a bit, he wants it a bit 'leaner'. I just haven't done it yet, because I had to figure out how using the program I have! And yes, I am planning on adding some glaciers and 'broken off' ice flows and things of that nature... I'm just trying to get the island itself more or less done first. I will be posting a newer version on Monday, or later today, if I can get it done in time.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Oh, sorry Auphillia, to answer your question. My husband and I are introducing our two teenage boys to the realm of roleplaying. So he's currently running a 2nd edition D&D game for us. I'm playing too, mostly to help them understand the way roleplaying works... but mostly because I'm a gamer through and through! lol
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

lol!!! Yes, I have already been asked if it's still uncharted if I'm mapping it.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

It IS uncharted...only the immortal creator Ladiestorm knows of it's existence. The mortals..well...they'll have to chart it the dangerous way, by actually going there and trying to draw it out when being attacked by a ravaging three headed snow beast!

Looking forward to the end result Ladiestorm.

That sounds like a lot of fun. I never had the opportunity to play D&D myself, but I've always loved roleplaying...particularly within a feudal system. I've developed a talent for sacrificing peasants *cough* I mean, encouraging honorable and valiant men and woman to fight for their freedoms and beliefs. >.>

I hope your map provides you all lots of entertainment! Plenty of fun hazards for everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast