Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [GIMP Plug-in] Creating a starfield

Post [GIMP Plug-in] Creating a starfield

Update 14.11.2008

Release 1.1

Changelog
    • Added an option to change the nebula opacity
    • If you had chosen not to add a nebula but set the param useCustomNebula to 'Yes' the script didnt execute. This has been fixed and the useCustomNebula param will now be ignored if you deselect the nebula.
    • Added an option for the star size.
    • Added an optional glitter effect to the stars

Please note, that atm if you choose bigger stars, less stars will be generated and your starfield will look much smaller. I wouldnt advice to select something larger than 'normal'. The 'tiny' option is equivalent to the original 1.0 star generation version.

Please let me know what you think about these changes

Hmm as I need to do a 2nd starfield for my monthly challenge I decided to wrap it up into a script as I dont like doing something similar twice that could be scripted

As I couldnt find a starfield script I did one by myself (yes I know maybe my google-fu aint highly skilled).

A few words of explanation before you use this script.

Before you start using the script, open your image or create a new one. The script itself wont modify any existing layers but will add its own ones.

The script itself can do 3 things:

- Just create a starfield. Use this if you just need a simple starfield.
    For this function please set both Nebula params to 'no' and ignore the Nebula Color.

- Create a starfield with a 'random' Nebula. Use this if you want a starfield completly filled with a Nebula.
    For this function please set the 'Add a Nebula' param to 'Yes' and the 'Use a custom Nebula shape?' param to 'No'. Set the Nebula Color to whatever color you want, it is looking better with darker colors of its type, so if you wanna have a gray nebula just choose something like 50% gray or slightly darker or if you wanna have a green nebula chose a darker green.
    You wanna use this function if you wanna do an excerpt of your galaxy within a nebula. I dont think you will need this function often, but at least its there

- Create a starfield with a random shaped Nebula within your selection.
    For this function you have to use the free selection tool before you start the plug-in. Select an area where you wanna have the nebula later on and start the script. Set both Nebula params to 'Yes' and and choose whatever color you like for the nebula. Again darker colors of its type are looking better.

Have fun with the script!

Attached is an example how you have to setup a Custom Nebula before you start the script and an example of the result. Please note that every starfield and nebula will look differently as I use random numbers to create them.

You find the script in your Filters Menu at Sci-Fi/Add Starfield. If you do not see the script, please read here, what you have to do.

If you tried to add a custom Nebula and you do not see one, you most likely forgot to add a selection before you started the script.

Please post any comments or problems you have with the plug-in.

P.S. If I did post this in the wrong section (I am not sure where I have to post plug ins tbh ) please move the threat

P.P.S. I plan to do a planet script in the next few days as well, so stay tuned
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Free Selection example.png 
Views:	288 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	7661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example.png 
Views:	3065 
Size:	725.8 KB 
ID:	7771  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sagenlicht; 11-14-2008 at 08:03 AM.
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Guild Adept

This is great. Would have made a great resource for my November challenge map. Have some Rep, feeble though my rep stick is. Definitely a five star thread.

VERY Nice. A couple of suggestions if you feel like making any updates to it:

• How possible is it to make the stars larger? I had my zoom set to 50% and generated several tries because I thought it did nothing.
    • Perhaps a control to control density and one for random size (between x and y size for example)
    • Option to NOT generate the starfield. This would be nice in case you wish to add multiple nebulas via selection and don't want to have to remove the extra starfields.
    • In addition to color for the nebula's a control to set the opacity of the nebula layer(color).

In any event, GREAT work. Thanks for stepping up with some really cool plugin's for GIMP.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Thanks for the feeedback

Thanks for the feedback

@RobA
    Well RobA I'll do a script when I need it and I tend to organize my scripts within my themes not within the structure of GIMP cause I want to have my custom scripts not mixed up with the standard scripts. Every script I download is getting sorted into my structure as well. E.g. your great dungeon maker script is registered at Filters/RPG Filters for me Yes you may call that behaviour weird

Maybe I should reconsider this and change the registration for the uploaded scripts.

@nolgroth
    Thank you very much

@JF
    - What size did your test image have? I will add an option to make the stars larger though
    - Not sure I do understand this point. What do you mean with random size? Do you mean the star size?
    - I did plan to do a stand alone Nebula script for that purpose. Maybe its smarter to have only one script. Your opinion?
    - I plan to do a version where you can control a few more options like the opacity of the nebula layer.

Another thing I will add is the option to merge all layers, I simply forgot to add it, cause I tend to not merge anything. I often have more than 30 layers in a challenge file

Anyways I will update the script in a few days, cause I have to do the planet script first as I need to get my challenge finished first
    Last edited by Sagenlicht; 11-11-2008 at 04:03 AM.
    My Map Challenge Entries

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenlicht View Post
    Thanks for the feedback

@RobA
    Well RobA I'll do a script when I need it and I tend to organize my scripts within my themes not within the structure of GIMP cause I want to have my custom scripts not mixed up with the standard scripts. Every script I download is getting sorted into my structure as well. E.g. your great dungeon maker script is registered at Filters/RPG Filters for me Yes you may call that behaviour weird

Maybe I should reconsider this and change the registration for the uploaded scripts.

@nolgroth
    Thank you very much

@JF
    - What size did your test image have? I will add an option to make the stars larger though
    - Not sure I do understand this point. What do you mean with random size? Do you mean the star size?
    The image was 1600x1200, which is pretty much what my starting base is.

Yes, the start size. Granted, this is "a lot" of extra work, but perhaps some option to have curve for start size. If the base star size is 2px, perhaps a second layer with 1/6th(or so) as many stars at 3px, and perhaps a third layer with perhaps 1/20th of the stars at 5px. Granted, the numbers may be bogus as hell and it may not work like I am thinking it might, but hope you should get the point. This is not so much a big deal (though it would be way nice) as being able to start with bit larger stars from the get go.

- I did plan to do a stand alone Nebula script for that purpose. Maybe its smarter to have only one script. Your opinion?
    I would say one script. Since you have the power of Python(GUI-wise) and you are really working on such similar stuff, I would say it makes far more sense to keep everything together. Ultimately, you would have to create(or have an existing) a starfield to populate your nebula anyway, so it might as well be in the same script.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post New example

Heh funny JF, I'll use 1600x1200 for all my tests, I did like the star size

Anyways, I will add an option for the star size, though in the first step I wont replace the used hsv noise trick for the stars cause I will have to do some research how to generate better ones.

I'll attach an image with a new star size and made them more shiny. What do you think, does it look better?

In addition you can see how far my planet script is, as I did place a script generated planet into the starfield. I used " Khuutath" style colors
    I didnt use any textures for this planet though the script can handle them as well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example incl a planet.png 
Views:	472 
Size:	869.4 KB 
ID:	7747  
    My Map Challenge Entries

Heh funny JF, I'll use 1600x1200 for all my tests, I did like the star size

Anyways, I will add an option for the star size, though in the first step I wont replace the used hsv noise trick for the stars cause I will have to do some research how to generate better ones.

I'll attach an image with a new star size and made them more shiny. What do you think, does it look better?

In addition you can see how far my planet script is, as I did place a script generated planet into the starfield. I used " Khuutath" style colors
    I didnt use any textures for this planet though the script can handle them as well
    That is way sweet image. Very nice. Ultimatly, I was thinking of the size being variable because someone (not me, I am not that much into star mapping) might want ot make one at 3-4 times my default size if they want something really detailed...

hmm for the hsv noise... does it all get set to white color, or are each bits slightly different color? If close in color, and the scripting interface does this, perhaps you can do select by color, grow the selection and then fill?? Don't know, thats just a WAG....
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

sagenlicht's cool script piccie
    Apparently I've repped you recently. It won't let me do so again, today, but this is well-deserving of more. Nice pic; I shall have to acquire these scripts and play with them when I get around to wanting some nice sci-fi space pics!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

this is awesome! ive always liked making starfields, but it has always taken me 30 minutes to an hour, now i can make one really fast!

p.s. how do you even make a plug-in anyways?
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast