Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Village of Fuervald

Map Village of Fuervald

I was trying to find a faster way to do villages, towns and cities since they can be so time consuming and hence costly.
    This sort of worked and sort of didn't. I like it but it still took longer than the desired time.
    I was hoping for a one-day thing but this stretched into 2 days.

Anyway, this would be the village of Fuervald, southeast of the city of Haerlech, bot in the realm of Rohrech and both of course in the world of Luma.
    The naming was just fun and incidental as the original premise of this map was mainly to test a style.
    But it'll stand as it is. There would be farms and such out around the village but not shown on this map.
    Enjoy. [oh, and here's an alternate text color version... think I like v2 better.]
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Village of Fuervald by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	642 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	83153 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Village of Fuervald v2 by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	83158
    Last edited by J.Edward; 04-29-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Oh wow! How do you do that in two days?? That's amazing.

You should make a tutorial of your techniques...

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Quite amazing work here John! How the heck do you do a village in two days? I could do one in that amount of time with cc3+ but it wouldn't look anywhere near this good! Fantastic job here! I would rep you but it seems my rep button likes your work quite a lot and needs to spread the love.

Guild Journeyer

Until you finish your another project, I won't say anything nice.

Just kidding, amazing work.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Oh wow! How do you do that in two days?? That's amazing.

You should make a tutorial of your techniques...
    It was about 12-18 hours of work, spread over 2 days. Line work took the most time to do.
    I don't know where i'd start with a tutorial. It's mostly technique. I just use a basic round brush with hard setting and shape dynamics on a pressure sensitive tablet.
    I have one special texture brush I use to add some fluff to grounds and one cobblestone brush i made for those streets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    Quite amazing work here John! How the heck do you do a village in two days? I could do one in that amount of time with cc3+ but it wouldn't look anywhere near this good! Fantastic job here! I would rep you but it seems my rep button likes your work quite a lot and needs to spread the love.
    I listen to really fast paced music and draw really fast.
    I find that music can really set the mood and tone and I get work done faster when listening to fast music.
    When I draw fast my hand usually hurts by end of day due to holding the pen so tight for so long. or depending on how you feel about sore hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilgoth View Post
    Until you finish your another project, I won't say anything nice.

Just kidding, amazing work.
    Haha, I know what you speak of sir... that map is going to take a while... so many trees and little lines and dots and shadows and sore fingers...
    But it will get done. I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    It was about 12-18 hours of work, spread over 2 days. Line work took the most time to do.
    I don't know where i'd start with a tutorial. It's mostly technique. I just use a basic round brush with hard setting and shape dynamics on a pressure sensitive tablet.
    I have one special texture brush I use to add some fluff to grounds and one cobblestone brush i made for those streets.
    Well the line work is straight forward enough, you need a certain amount of skill and practice, and although I'm nowhere near to your skill level I think I can do the linework for some buildings at least half decent I'm more interested in how you go about with shading and colour.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Well the line work is straight forward enough, you need a certain amount of skill and practice, and although I'm nowhere near to your skill level I think I can do the linework for some buildings at least half decent I'm more interested in how you go about with shading and colour.
    Okay. That's pretty straight forward too.
    Shadows are done with the same basic brush on a separate layer set to multiply.
    I use a warm grey - about midway between white and black - maybe just a bit lighter...
    I always draw a light ray on a separate layer so I can move it around to get a specific direction for light.
    Creating shadows is a complex process, in that you have to have an idea of what the object is like in 3d space to accurately draw a shadow that it would cast.

Color... most of that for a piece like this is pretty basic too.
    The colors here are mostly flat till the shadow goes in.
    It is amazing how huge the impact of the shadow layer is to make this all pop out like it does.

I also add some highlights.
    For highlights, I'll often do those on a separate layer set to softlight.
    Colors used vary depending on the color I'm highlighting.
    For the roofs, I used a soft pinkish color to give the roofs some texture.
    Same goes for the texture brush I used. I pick a color that will blend well for a highlight or a shadow look.
    So for green grass here, I just went slightly up or down from the grass color to do highlight or shadow texturing.

ah ah!! chimneys!!

Great work John, I love al the tiny details! the carriage traces, the flowers, and the dotted arrows to show underpasses!!
    I agree, v2 text blends better

Looks great - you seem to have a thing for circular layouts! Reminds me I need to actually get some stuff done/finished.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

As I mentioned on DA, I think you've got a nice attractive style here with just the right amount of detail for the objectives you set. I can't offer any advice on how to speed up your work-flow since I myself have exactly the same problem as you. My town maps take entirely too long to create, something which I hope to work on in the near future. Very nice job on this, sorry I can't rep you just now.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast