Thread: WIP Tonnichiwa's testing new perspective view for making cities.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Default WIP Tonnichiwa's testing new perspective view for making cities.

Hello everyone,

I'm trying out a new style of mapping that I am not really familiar with but I thought I would give it a try. I'm going to try to do some isometric cities in the future though I am not really sure that they will be true isometric. They may have slightly different angles than just 57.777777...degrees. Anyway, this is my first test piece for a house and to see how the surroundings will look.

This is all new to me so I'm still working on getting some things to look right but eventually I hope to be able to make all kinds of buildings in many different shapes and styles that are like this. But for now, this is what I can make. I'll try to keep it updated when I do more things.

Feel free to comment or critique.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dead colonist.PNG 
Views:	117 
Size:	7.53 MB 
ID:	83428  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very good start Tonnichiwa - but with all the lovely detailing in the map, the path and the roof look rather bland. The ocean could use some waves as well
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Hehe, thanks Tilt. I've been trying many different textures for the roof. I'm not a real big fan of it either, but since this was a trial I thought I would just let it go. Mainly I was trying to look at the scale and spacing of the house, and also, how would it look next to the water. I also tried many different kinds of path and settled on this one for the trial because it lays down rather quickly. Next I think I am going to try to scale down the building, and then add a few more in various shapes and heights so that I can get an idea how they will look together when formed into a city block.

Lol, I suppose I could have put waves on the ocean but it wasn't really necessary for my purposes. All of the lovely detail in the yards was to test how it would look in case I want to add a yard to someone's house once I start actually building the city.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Other angles than 57.777777!? How dare you It's looking good but the thing that stands out to me is that the wall and roof textures are not tilted to follow the angles of the building. The walls are most noticeable I think. If the roof is meant to be thatch, it should look like the straws are pointing downwards, the direction of rain water flow

Very nice, did you make that house in CC3?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

@Lingon:Thanks Lingon. Hey, there aren't any Perspectives police that are working closely with the River police are there? GULP! Yeah, I completely agree with you about the direction of the wall and roof textures. It is actually a bug in the program. It is a quite annoying bug too because when you are building the house on the map, everything looks fine. But when you go to export it, the fill styles line up on the x axis instead of the y axis, thus turning them the wrong direction. I've reported it on the Profantasy website and it is a known issue that they say is fixed in the next update to the software, but the update hasn't been released yet. I'm excitedly waiting for that update!

One thing I suppose I could try would be to bring those fill styles into Photoshop or Gimp and mirror them so they line up on the Y axis when exported instead, but I would have to do that for each and every texture. What a pain that would be. So for now I wait patiently for the official fix.

@Josiah VE: Thanks Josiah. The house and the rest of the map are made in cc3+

Blog Entries

If you bring it into ps or gimp you could add some straw-lines to the thatched roof too
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    If you bring it into ps or gimp you could add some straw-lines to the thatched roof too
    Yeah, or I could just wait for the official fix and actually load up a straw bitmap. If you look closely at the one that is on there now it is actually a bitmap of a yellow parchment. It was an experiment to see if I could get it to look like straw. It didn't work

The photoshop way is just too much work for me right now. And to be honest I have no idea how to paint anything in photoshop. I know I should look at tutorials on how but I'm pretty focused on learning this new software for cc3+

Blog Entries

One piece of software at a time is sound advice
    regs tilt