Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitina - city in Dalmatia

Wip Kitina - city in Dalmatia

Wanted to do a city map, so I took a city from my Cartographer's Guild World Country - #12 Dalmatia.

Kitina is in the Northeastern mountainous part of the country, bordering Max's Land. It is home to the regions ancient people who many years ago were beaten back to this area, which they held strong and have continued to reign over. The mountains in this area produce a valuable BLUE STONE - Lapis Lazuli, which is mined and processed in this region. This region provides a large amount of the countries economic success. Due to this the Kitina's elders hold high ranking offices in the Countries Government.

Kitina is an old walled city sitting up top a plateau but lower than the mountains to the West (top on drawing), it has seen many battles over the years, due to the BLUE STONE, both internal battles and with other countries. A large river flows through a corner of this region and is fed by the nearby mountains, which both support the city and it's agriculture.

BIGGEST QUESTION - are my buildings too dense, too small?

More development to come
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitina1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	83573

I needed someone to inspire me to make some town maps of my country, I think this has done it. Awesome start!!

I want to find a super quick way to make decent maps so I can just pump them out, however among other maps I'm doing that have priority I don't have time to make a super detailed map, and I haven't found a way to make a quick but decent town.

I believe the houses are okay, I wouldn't have thought of that when looking at it, maybe have different districts with bigger houses?

Also, can't you post this in the 10th Birthday forum thin?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

[QUOTE=Josiah VE;301496]I needed someone to inspire me to make some town maps of my country, I think this has done it. Awesome start!!

I want to find a super quick way to make decent maps so I can just pump them out, however among other maps I'm doing that have priority I don't have time to make a super detailed map, and I haven't found a way to make a quick but decent town.

Josiah
    Two ways that I have seen, as tutorials, here on the guild and I've used them both.

The method I used here uses the LINE TOOL, it's nice in that you can draw any angle of house easily - the line weight can vary to create different size houses and I just overlap the lines to create shapes. The LINE you draw turns into four adjustable corners. This method uses the PATH TOOL, so then I just fill the path with black and color and stroke layer overlays.

The other way is to use a brush with size and spacing jitter on the brush and draw lots of blocks quickly - again there are tutorials on these methods on the guild.

Added more towns, cliffs, color, etc. Comments welcome. Redrew tree line work to scale better with buildings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kutina2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	83616

It's looking fantastic, Snodsy! I love the sense of elevation you've given it.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Great start Snodsy! Very "vauban" for my french eye .

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Nice, though for a second I thought it said "City of dirty bitches"!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks very good and nice progress. The shadows from especially the large walls need to be grounded a bit more to avoid the floating look. You'll get that by darkening it more directly under the walls
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Wip Kutina a city in Dalmatia - Cartographers Guild World #12

Update on Kutina - lots of work since last post. Spent about 12 hours on it this weekend. Pretty happy with it, getting this top down style down somewhat (about the 4th map I've done in this style).
    Comments welcome.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kutina4.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	6.57 MB 
ID:	83661

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks very done now - beautiful work, you are really getting the hang of the style
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast