Thread: "World Map" of Suróthill

Guild Journeyer

Default "World Map" of Suróthill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PUKycP8.png 
Views:	205 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	83804

Just finished the first map for my own fantasy world Suróthill. It’s illustrated through human society that is located in the continent of Tahl-Ulrun. Humans know about the two neighboring continents, but haven’t explored them properly due their hostile creatures and I tried to integrate that to those two. For example Ifris is depicted as long mountain range covering it shoreline and the other side has “endless” forest spanning through the land, even though this isn't actually true.

It is my first completed digital map, as before this I’ve only done pen&paper maps. Throughout the work, I was looking and searching my own suitable style and this brought me with smallish perspective error with forests. I decided to leave it like that and learn from the error, hopefully to avoid it with my next map.

Two days ago I finished the black & white version, and today I finished the colored version, which I originally didn’t plan to do… guess motivation fairy visited my house. ^^ I like clean and simple styles, so I didn’t do too much of color blending and texturing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C158SSx.png 
Views:	211 
Size:	4.44 MB 
ID:	83805

Feedback is always welcome. Next map will be more in-detail map of Tahl-Ulrun.  I myself find a lot of space for improvement in typography and could always aim for fancier frames.

EDIT// Done in the newest version of Adobe Photoshop
    Last edited by Ilgoth; 05-21-2016 at 04:46 AM.

Very nice! Good job, especially for your first digital map.

And yeah, the only problem I have with it is how the forests look top down and the mountains are isometric, but I really like the forests in and of themselves.

Overall, very nice, and you made that compass rose too? Looks awesome!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Very nice! Good job, especially for your first digital map.

And yeah, the only problem I have with it is how the forests look top down and the mountains are isometric, but I really like the forests in and of themselves.

Overall, very nice, and you made that compass rose too? Looks awesome!
    Thanks Josiah! Yeah that's exactly the error I meant, forest being in different perspective... I tried repairing it in colored version, but it would have required quite a lot of reworking. Well now I'm wiser... ^^

Yeah I did. I sketched it back in March on paper, so I had something to look at while drawing it on computer. Gotta say I'm proud of it, those lines weren't too easy.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

I love the effect of those forests too. You've definitely made it a style of your own, that's great.

Very nice first map Ilgoth!
    my thoughts:
    The mountains and the forests are awesome, but probably, as Josiah said, the different style (one isometric, the other "top down") could confuse.
    Your colors are really great, I love vivid colors!
    Maybe try to resize a bit the labels, they cover too much the map

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

congrats on your first digital map - it looks great, I personally like the clean colors The only thing I'd work with it the labeling which dominates the map a bit. I'd scale them down and perhaps make the letters dark blue for the ocean names
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Congrats on finishing your first map! I have the same thoughts as others here. I like the colors but find the labels distracting. The trees are nice and I really like the mountains, but I think the two styles don't compliment each other. But a great first digital map!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Journeyer

Thank you all for the feedback.

In all honesty I really suffered with labeling, as doing it first time didn't have the feeling for it. Only thing I knew was to avoid cluttering the elements too much, and make it pop out of the land. But at least for my writing I have a clear map of the region, most likely if the book ever comes out I commission someone from here to do the official map. ^^