Thread: City Designer 3 - contour definition help

Guild Member

Default City Designer 3 - contour definition help

Hello all,

Does anyone have any tips for adding lines to contours in CD3 to help define them a bit more? Actually quite difficult to explain what I mean in words so I made a really quick example of what I want to achieve:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contourtest.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	83859

So if you look at the dark contours, representing some hills, to the north east I have drawn black lines to help give it a bit of texture, for lack of a better word. Unfortunately, after a few hours of messing around with the line tools in City Designer, adding sheet effects and all sorts of things, I'm really struggling to get the lines to look less MS Paint style.

Anyone do anything like this in CD3 for their maps? Doesn't actually have to be city designer, could be any of the CC3 family, that can give me some tips on how to get this looking nice?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

Don't add lines manually. Use the contour drawing tools, Draw multiple sectioons on top of each othe. It might be helpful to turn on sheet effects (though it will slow your computer and drawing.

Guild Member

Ah, you mean like layers of the contour tools on top of each other? Yeah, that will probably look better than trying to draw lines. I'll play around with that. Cheers!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

Exactly what I meant. Let me know how it goes, especially since I didn't explain that very well

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendRover View Post
    Ah, you mean like layers of the contour tools on top of each other? Yeah, that will probably look better than trying to draw lines. I'll play around with that. Cheers!

Guild Member

I had a quick and dirty go at it, not particularly neat but I see what you mean. When I do it on the map I actually want it for I'll use more layers of color, getting darker as the hill gets higher. Much, MUCH easier than trying to draw lines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contourtesting.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	83900

another thing you might want to try, and I have no idea how this would work... but use the bitmap fills... cc3+ has them in darker versions. It would add both color and texture variation. Perhaps that might give you something closer to what you are looking for
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm