Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tilt-Shift and Time Lapse Films

Post Tilt-Shift and Time Lapse Films

I'll let the video speak for itself. I'm thinking there has to be something in this that we can use somehow...

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=6074474
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very cool.

The effect of the blurred foreground and background is interesting. It's bizarre the way it miniaturises the subject matter. I may have to play with that.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat stuff...thanks for posting.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This guy has posted some of these films (compiled for the ABC news bit) on a website somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it out of my history cache cuz I was on the site a few months back.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Tilt-shifts (either taken or digitally generated) are just weird on the brain. Even though you KNOW they aren't miniatures, your brain insists they are

Tons on http://www.flickr.com/groups/tilt-shift-fakes/

And another novel tilt-shift video: http://www.royalbaronialtheatre.com/...periments.html that shows the before and after. Nice use of otherwise "uninspiring" video.

(with a catchy tune, too )

-Rob A>

I think the bigger the scene the more dramatic the effect. Thanks for the link to the flickr group!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I took one of the pictures from my vacation and tried to get the effect right. What do you think?

EDIT: Tried another one that doesn't have much of a size reference around it to see what it looks like.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tiltshift.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	7760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	7761  
    Last edited by RPMiller; 03-07-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Not bad.

I think you used the "linear gradient to blend a blurred copy" method?

The thing that causes it to look a bit wonky is that the people are obviously much further behind the urns, yet both are in focus...

Ideally you need to match the blend to the depth.

I think it works better with the gimp focal blur plugin as you can provide a depth map, and it actually blurs the image based on the greyscale depth of field map.

Also, a slight areal perspective makes it more "miniature" looking.

Here is an example cropped from a phpto I took in Chicago:
    Attachment 7762

and with the effect:
    Attachment 7763

(I think the bg needed a bit more blur...)

-Rob A>

Wow! Yea, you definitely nailed the effect. I wonder if there is a similar focal blur component for PhotoShop. I think I found a fun new hobby to play with the next time I travel.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks like you got it nailed down pretty good there Rob...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast