Thread: Image Editor Questions

Question Image Editor Questions

So there comes a time in every new mappers's journey when they realize they need something more from their maps, especially if they are using a program to create them. There's a point in the journey when Image editors become necessary to take maps to the next level. Apparently, my point in that journey has arrived. There are just some things that I'm going to need to do to finish my maps, that my program just isn't designed to do. I'm not knocking cc3+, far from it. But it's a mapping program, not an image editing program, and I'm getting to the point where I need that little extra umph.

I know there are free image editing programs out there... I'm pretty sure there's a free version of photoshop, I used to use paintshop pro years ago... I've heard people mention Gimp, and Wilbur, and of course MS Paint came with my Windows 10(but I can't figure out how to use the blasted thing, and it seems pretty limited).

So here's my next question. Is there a list of the different free image editing programs? And what are the pros and cons of each program? I want to get as much information on the different products out there before I choose one.... ease of use, quality of finished images, any information that will help me decided what to use would help.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Yes, MS Paint is very, very limited. I would suggest not using it for.... anything.

For just image editing, GIMP has all you need I think. I've always found GIMP very sufficient for editing photos, it has all or most of the features photoshop has.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

where would I find Gimp?
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Try www.gimp.org It's a free download.

Gimp is perfectly capable of producing work on a par with Photoshop, in the right hands, and has the benefits of being free. Many artists here use it and there are loads of tutorials for it too.

J.Edward wrote a piece a few months back about image software here:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/co...and-Paint-Maps

Honestly, I'd download Gimp and give it a whirl. It's a bit quirky until you get used to it, but if you've used PSP in the past, you'll probably pick up the basics pretty quickly.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I would suggest trying any of the free programs to see how you feel with their interfaces and how they handle things.
    GIMP is pretty full featured but you may not like its interface.
    Some of the programs in the article ChickPea referred to have varying interfaces, though some cost money.
    Using a program that you feel comfortable in will make your experience better.
    So whether that's GIMP or Krita or some other program, the only way to know is to give them a try.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 05-25-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    GIMP is pretty full featured but you may not like its interface.
    Yeah, I suggest switching to 'Single Window Mode' if you decide to try Gimp. In all the years I've used it, I've never, ever come to like the floating windows set up (though perhaps YMMV).

EDIT: Somewhat unrelated to ladiestorm's enquiry, but relating to J.Edward's blog post, I see Affinity should be launching for Windows fairly soon. The software's about to get a beta release (and you can sign up for a free trial) so hopefully the official release won't be too far off. I'm not certain whether it's just the vector app that'll be out in beta, or whether it includes the paint/photo app too, but the software is well-respected on Macs, I understand, so it might be worth keeping an eye on.
    Last edited by ChickPea; 05-25-2016 at 11:06 AM.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Here is the list, the Community leaders are updating it from time to time http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1407

Blog Entries

Gimp

i have been using it since 2000 / 2001

i WOULD SUGGEST you work through the image editing tutorials

things like adding "rust" to a object and colorizing a black and white image WILL teach you the basics
    and those skills WILL be able to be applied to a map and to using layers

from here
    http://www.gimp.org/
    there is a link at the top of the page "tutorials"
    http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

right now the only big issue is that gimp 2.8.16 is 8 bit per layer ONLY ( uchar)
    red=8
    green=8
    blue=8

alpha =8 bits

the develpment testing version Gimp 2.9.3 handles 16 bit signed and unsigned ( short and ushort ) and 32 bit floating point
    also 32 bit integer ( long) and and 64 bit float

a bit less than gimp but also a good drawing tool is a program called Krita
    https://krita.org/
    also krita has a program BUILT IN that i use ALL!!! THE TIME!!!
    "G'Mic "
    if you look back at my posts you will see a lot of terminal commands using gmic

there is also a gimp plugin for gmic but you the user have to add it
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 05-25-2016 at 08:21 PM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

I downloaded gimp, and when I have the chance to work through the tutorials, I will... I have actually already started. I just have a lot of projects coming up where I am going to need an editor.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd go with Gimp as well. I use photoshop myself and love the program, but its pretty expensive and unless you buy and old version you'll be paying forever since its now subscription based. As far as I know Gimp can do anything photoshop can do except for some extrem color depth and working with CMYK (which only people who work with professional printing like me have the use for). Good luck with learning it, I know you'll be able to take your maps further with it
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise