Thread: Looking for critique (neophyte WIP)

Help Looking for critique (neophyte WIP)

I haven't made many maps in my life outside field maps as I used to camp and hunt a fair bit. But as I write more, I find myself needing maps to keep things straight.

This is my first attempt in earnest at hand drawing a map with more detail than a stick figure. Just a trial run in a style I found relatively pleasing to the eye so I could get some pointers from the pros out here. Any constructive criticism is most appreciated.

Thanks in advance folks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160525_051857_Richtone(HDR).jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	810.9 KB 
ID:	83902

That looks great, especially for a first map! Trust me, that's way better than my first maps. I don't have much to say except the northern mountains are a little bit lopsided. other than that it's great!
    The compass rose is also very nice.

Making maps for camping and hunting sounds interesting! I think that would be super fun to map as you hike along or something.

I will be the first to bestow upon you some rep. Keep it up! I hope to see more from you!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    That looks great, especially for a first map! Trust me, that's way better than my first maps. I don't have much to say except the northern mountains are a little bit lopsided. other than that it's great!
    The compass rose is also very nice.

Making maps for camping and hunting sounds interesting! I think that would be super fun to map as you hike along or something.

I will be the first to bestow upon you some rep. Keep it up! I hope to see more from you!

Yeah, those northern mountains just would not cooperate with me. I eventually had to push my perfectionism aside and just roll with it to get anywhere. Still not happy with them, but compared to some of the work I've seen here, I have leagues to go before I'll be happy. If I can hunt down the pen nib I want for travel, I'll likely never stop drawing maps.

And sketching rough maps when I hunt or camp has always been interesting. I'm a bow hunter and unless I'm hunting Razorbacks (feral hogs that are problem in my neck of the woods), I try to document each successful hunt so I can return to the site with my kids one day, should I ever find a woman who can tolerate my hobbies. And mapping my campsites just keeps me aware of resources for future visits. Spend a week in one spot and you get familiar with it until you return years later.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathenScribe View Post
    Yeah, those northern mountains just would not cooperate with me. I eventually had to push my perfectionism aside and just roll with it to get anywhere. Still not happy with them, but compared to some of the work I've seen here, I have leagues to go before I'll be happy. If I can hunt down the pen nib I want for travel, I'll likely never stop drawing maps.

And sketching rough maps when I hunt or camp has always been interesting. I'm a bow hunter and unless I'm hunting Razorbacks (feral hogs that are problem in my neck of the woods), I try to document each successful hunt so I can return to the site with my kids one day, should I ever find a woman who can tolerate my hobbies. And mapping my campsites just keeps me aware of resources for future visits. Spend a week in one spot and you get familiar with it until you return years later.
    Eventually you just have to say it's done, and start on a new one, or else you'll never get anywhere if you keep trying to redo things.

That sounds very interesting! That would be fun to try one day.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by HeathenScribe View Post
    I haven't made many maps in my life outside field maps as I used to camp and hunt a fair bit. But as I write more, I find myself needing maps to keep things straight.

This is my first attempt in earnest at hand drawing a map with more detail than a stick figure. Just a trial run in a style I found relatively pleasing to the eye so I could get some pointers from the pros out here. Any constructive criticism is most appreciated.

Thanks in advance folks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160525_051857_Richtone(HDR).jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	810.9 KB 
ID:	83902
    This is a good start. For writing, you may not need more than this.

That said, you may find this map-making stuff highly addictive. Check out the tutorial section of the forums for lots of help down the slippery slope. You can always justify it because you need a pretty map to show your readers!

Quote Originally Posted by HBrown View Post
    This is a good start. For writing, you may not need more than this.

That said, you may find this map-making stuff highly addictive. Check out the tutorial section of the forums for lots of help down the slippery slope. You can always justify it because you need a pretty map to show your readers!
    I know all about highly addictive hobbies. I collect knives, guns, fountain pens, old books, etc... What harm can come from one more?

I've got a ton of reading to do and videos to sit through by nightfall. So much to learn, so little time.