Thread: Well, howdy hey!

Default Well, howdy hey!

I've been lurking the guild for the past few weeks or so, so I decided to go ahead and create an account. Pretty cool place you've got going on here.

Anywho, my name's Samuel, Sam for short of course. I've always had an interest in the art of cartography and the like, but it's especially been renewed recently, for I have begun to conjure up a map of my own for writing purposes, and wanted to learn the ropes of doing so in a nice and neat manner instead of the crude maps I've produced beforehand. I just feel like having a visual representation of the world I'm writing about would help me a lot, so I thought "why not?" and decided to try it out.

I have some teensy tiny experience in digital art but not too much; mostly just paint.net and some Photoshop, although I have downloaded and started to learn GIMP to create said map. Maybe I'll post it sometime when it looks more respectable and I'm more happy with it, albeit it's been helped a lot by the numerous tutorials presented here at the guild and such.

Well, I better cut it short before I start rambling. I'm excited to be here and eventually contribute to the guild's pool of maps, and see more maps from others of course.

Auf wiedersehen!
    Last edited by Samuel; 05-25-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Welcome Samuel,

I like gimp. It takes some getting used to (well, for those of us who still use pens and paper) but its a really good program. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

-Chris

Hi Sam, welcome to the Guild. Check out the tutorials section for some tips to get you going. There are numerous tutorials for Gimp that'll help you learn the basics. Looking forward to seeing your work.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks everybody!

Turns out I'll be posting my map earlier than expected, since it's looking quite swell (at least I think.) Just want to add a few more details and such before I do so. Anywho, I'll update this thread whenever that is.

Welcome to the guild Samuel!

If you're going to be digitally hand drawing maps an excellent resource for hand drawing maps is the tutorials on Fantastic Maps. Also a good turorial is Lineart Map Tutorial for beginners.

And looking forward to seeing your maps!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM