Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benyei Harbour

Default Benyei Harbour

I made this quick map, that is kind of an illustration, for the town map I'm working on for the Guild World. Town of Adirannon

Here it is! I made a sketchup model for it to trace off of.. The bottom right is a bit of a sketchier style because I did that last minute and not after a model, but it's not the mainland that's the focus of the map, so I don't think it matters.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake Latbel Blockhouse.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	345.6 KB 
ID:	83971

It's a small military port, I wrote a bit more about it on the other thread I linked.

I've done very few illustrations, so I'm proud of it. Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by Josiah VE; 05-27-2016 at 07:02 PM.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

That looks splendid Josiah.
    You should be proud.
    It's nice and clean and the boats add a nice touch.

I like it! Actually, at first glance it reminded me of my school books in high school on the colonial era! VERY well made! I don't know why, but I think the circle adds alot to it! Personnaly, I feel like the emphasize is more on the era itself than the map. It's like the image brings up more to your mind than what it is showing.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    That looks splendid Josiah.
    You should be proud.
    It's nice and clean and the boats add a nice touch.
    Thanks J! Your work is of course inspiring for this.
    The boats are probably out of scale a bit... Okay, maybe a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Elterio Delgard View Post
    I like it! Actually, at first glance it reminded me of my school books in high school on the colonial era! VERY well made! I don't know why, but I think the circle adds alot to it! Personnaly, I feel like the emphasize is more on the era itself than the map. It's like the image brings up more to your mind than what it is showing.
    Thanks Elterio!
    Glad it's bringing back (I hope good ) memories.
    Although I was planning for the era to be medieval fantasy I suppose it would have to be a tad bit more advanced than that because they have cannons. Thanks again!

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Thanks J! Your work is of course inspiring for this.
    The boats are probably out of scale a bit... Okay, maybe a lot.

Thanks Elterio!
    Glad it's bringing back (I hope good ) memories.
    Although I was planning for the era to be medieval fantasy I suppose it would have to be a tad bit more advanced than that because they have cannons. Thanks again!
    *buzzer sound* Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip! Wrong! Medieval Fantasy could have those ships. I would be yes toward the end of Medieval age, but everything dépends on how you define the Middle Age. If having ships that can cross the ocean is your line between Medieval and Renaissance, then let me tell you that in my book to I have those kind of ships for the Kastosian Empire (though they fall soon after >.>) and they even have cannons. It stays nonetheless Medieval for the spirit of the people, their mentality and the GENERAL technology is Medieval.

Personnaly, I think that for your own book you should think of several factors that WOULD bring the Medieval Age to an end. Like that you know if those ships would be an acronysm or not. Like I say, EVERYTHING dépends on your civilization's overall technology. They are sea people? I think it would suit them to have those ships.
    Last edited by Elterio Delgard; 05-27-2016 at 11:02 PM. Reason: I am getting tired and making spelling mistakes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Elterio Delgard View Post
    *buzzer sound* Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip! Wrong! Medieval Fantasy could have those ships. I would be yes toward the end of Medieval age, but everything dépends on how you define the Middle Age. If having ships that can cross the ocean is your line between Medieval and Renaissance, then let me tell you that in my book to I have those kind of ships for the Kastosian Empire (though they fall soon after >.>) and they even have cannons. It stays nonetheless Medieval for the spirit of the people, their mentality and the GENERAL technology is Medieval.

Personnaly, I think that for your own book you should think of several factors that WOULD bring the Medieval Age to an end. Like that you know if those ships would be an acronysm or not. Like I say, EVERYTHING dépends on your civilization's overall technology. They are sea people? I think it would suit them to have those ships.
    Interesting. Well, I have to say I'm not an expert or even too familiar with all this stuff, but I do imagine everything in the medieval age, as in limited technology but now as I'm expanding this world I'm thinking there might be some advances, e.g. canons, and I was also thinking of some other stuff.
    About ships crossing the ocean, this country doesn't have a large ocean, it's mostly landlocked except for a bit of coastline, where there would be mostly shipping boats. This is on a fairly large lake, so not an ocean. But the ships seem fairly advanced.

Anyway, I don't think it matters too much, it's somewhere around that era. Someday I'd like to research it a bit, you sound like you already know quite a lot about it.
    Thanks!

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Well, know alot is a big word. I have learned to admit I need to research on a subject before judging an era quickly. I have a bacc in history, but I know more how to do research than stuff. Each time I start a research I start from point 0. If you ever need some info on medieval times though, I strongly suggest you read books from Jacques Le Goff. Sadly that historian is dead V_V But his books are great. He wrote a book entitled: was Europe born during Medieval time? An excellent book because he talks of MULTIPLE Medieval ages. I also loved his book '"La naissance du purgatoire", in which he makes the history of the belief of Purgatory from the first and second century AD to the Renaissance. Though he goes with a religious subject, you see alot of what shaped the Medieval times: metallurgy, how to make laws with the new class called "bourgeoisie", the order of society. Quite fascinating! Also, if you want a different view of that Era, study the Ottoman Empire! They were quite Advanced in some areas compared to the European kingdoms.

Gorgeous work, Josiah. Not only is it beautifully drawn, I also love the way you've laid everything out on the page and made the graphic circular. It all works together beautifully. Will rep if I can.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

really nice work here Josiah, you have an extra space under #4, where you don't for the others. The ships are awesome, nice job.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Great work Josiah. Keeping very in tune with the style of your windmill piece, but also pushing your drawing forwards too! Consistency is always something that can be hard to get so well done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast