Thread: Unnamed Fantasy World Map

Wip Unnamed Fantasy World Map

Hello!

I am new around here, but I have been interested in cartography for a long long time. I think it probably started around the time I began collecting Lone Wolf gamebooks (Those gamebooks had some sweeeet maps) Anyway, yesterday I started my first world map! (unless you count incomplete and terrible quality maps I started when I was a lot younger)

I'm drawing this map on an 8.5" x 11" piece of cardstock using Pigma Micron pens (005, 01, 05, and 08 sizes) and later I am planning on scanning it into the computer. I think I might color it after I scan the black and white version and then scan it again, but I haven't decided for sure. The world is just a fictional world I improvised without any backstory (not the best way to create a map I'm sure, but I just knew I wanted to draw an original fantasy world so I grabbed a pencil and cardstock and just started sketching! haha)

So what do you guys and gals think of it so far?

EDIT: Oops! I had the wrong tab open and posted here instead of the Regional/World Mapping forum, sorry about that! Can a moderator move this post there for me please?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world_maps_preview3.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	959.3 KB 
ID:	83982
    Last edited by Axebane; 05-28-2016 at 09:05 AM.

Hey Axebane,

Nice start! It has a nice almost cartoonish style, which a lot of people like.

To my eyes it seems tad bit cluttered, the biomes kind of hard to distinguish easily, but I'm sure it will be better once it is done.

The rivers are a little bit problematic, rivers almost never split (unless it's something like a delta). They take the path of least resistance and almost always flow to the see. This explains it better I'm sure: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3822

Once a community leader comes around they'll move it for you.

Keep it up!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thank you for the feedback Josiah VE! It is a bit cluttered, yes, I got carried away when doing the hills so it nearly turned into "Hill World" haha. The biomes should be a bit easier to distinguish when I start adding detail/texture for the deserts and marshlands, plus if I do color this map it would be even easier to see the biomes.

The rivers I actually drew starting at the mountains and heading toward the sea, so I'm a bit surprised by the "problematic" assessment. Then again, "the path of least resistance" makes sense, and looking back over the map I can see that some of the splits and river routes are probably not realistic. Especially that big one in the middle that takes a loooong path to the southern seas instead of going right to the close-by northern waters. Haha

I think I am nearly finished inking!

Here are the latest images:

Name:	world_maps_preview4.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	84004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world_maps_preview5.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	84005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world_maps_preview6.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	84006

Ooh, this is quite lovely!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I know it has been a while, but I figured I would post the finished version of this world map:

Name:	world_maps_preview7.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	87573 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world_maps_preview8.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	87574 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world_maps_preview9.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	87575

Those look fantastic! Start a thread in Finished Maps and post them there. Some people don't check the WIP folder, so might overlook them, and that would be a terrible shame.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks! I will scan the map today so I can create a better image of it and then make a new thread in the finished maps section. I'll also see if I can come up with a name for the world because "Unnamed Fantasy World" is so uninspiring, hahaha. I've actually already finished three more world maps that I haven't posted anywhere yet. I'll probably share those soon as well. I went from not drawing any maps for years to drawing maps all the dang time.

Excellent! Can't wait to see your new stuff.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"