Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A regional experiment

Looking utterly beautiful, Ascension. I think the font change for the text works much better but the drop shadow with the text might be overkill. I can't begin to tell you how much I like this map. It really falls together as a whole wonderfully.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks, guys! About the cast shadow...well I as going to put the text on top of platforms, sort of like a statue, and then I had thought about sinking the text into a crevasse...sort of like the text was erupting up through cracks. I thought that was overkill so I just put in a cast shadow to accentuate the 3dishness. I could probably tone it down in some areas, like on the lighter places. I'd like to take the henges and towers and do them in a similar quasi-ISO style similar to the cartoony text but I'm wondering if that will cause them to dominate the image. And I'm wondering if I will have to do the cities the same way. Maybe I'll play around with that tonight.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well I went ahead and did the redid the sites in the cartoony, semi-ISO style and I really like em. I took the images from an old Sketch Up file I was doing...a sort of Wizard's college. I got the central Tower of Mastery and Tower of Earth in but never got around to the other 3 elements since all of the round shapes were really hogging the memory usage. It appears that I need to do my towns in a similar fashion but I'm not sure I want to go and make a bunch of different towns in Sketch Up...I don't even want to do one village of huts much less 27 of them along with 9 towns and 2 cities. I could do one of each and just copy them but that still requires me to do 3 types. Oy. If I were gettin paid to do this for a video game or something then I would do it but since this is for fun I don't find that project all that much fun I also added the old pic of the towers.
    Last edited by Ascension; 07-07-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

So now I see how your mapping technique really shines. Very very cool.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very nice indeed. I like the iso-ish icons. My one comment is that the drop shadows around the towns and cities make them look a little like they are floating off the map. Otherwise - really stunning. Good work.

Yeah, I'm still workin on the cities...trying to make them similar to the other icons for the towers, henges, etc. Had an idea yesterday to try out, it didn't work, the Plan B didn't work either. So now I have to come up with a Plan C which will probably involve pencil and paper drawings. Once I have something that I like and that is easy to do I will fix the shadow.

There are some very new and very nice conventions going on for this map. Well played, sir, well played indeed.
    Something witty and pithy

Ok, I finally got the cities done. They are in a similar style but not similar scale (they don't look as big as, say, the henges). I couldn't really do them on the same scale as they'd be quite large and dominate everything. Another method was to do an icon style with only a few buildings or maybe even one, like in CC3 or in video game mini-maps, but I wanted to try something more informational rather than representational. Lemme know if I should scrap the idea altogether or if this looks good. I think it looks pretty good but I wanna know if I'm the only one. Also, I have one last thing to do...gotta get my rivers to flow into the ocean. Currently, they stop at the beach since it is an outer glow of the landmass. I might just scale down the henges, towers, and ankhs to match the city scale, but I think they look kinda cute the way they are.
    Last edited by Ascension; 07-07-2009 at 05:17 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like the cities a lot - and for me that helps pull the text into line with everything else. Wunderbar!!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Also, I have one last thing to do...gotta get my rivers to flow into the ocean. Currently, they stop at the beach since it is an outer glow of the landmass. I might just scale down the henges, towers, and ankhs to match the city scale, but I think they look kinda cute the way they are.
    I wouldn't have noticed the river issue if you hadn't mentioned it, but now that I know, I see that it can be kind of bothersome looking.

I would say yes, scale down the henges, towers, and ankhs. But maybe not too much: say 2/3 the current size is my vote. They also look out-of-proportion with the Cave icons.

Also, I like the new version of the cities (though I also liked the old version, just different representational styles).
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast