Thread: [GIMP Plug-in] Render a Planet or Moon

Post [GIMP Plug-in] Render a Planet or Moon

Beta Release 0.8

Ok so here is the render planet script. It aint complete by now cause I didnt find time to add shadow/light but the script allready renders a nice planet (at least imo).

I will add the shadow/light thing as soon as possible, but I decided to post the script now to get some feedback. I'd like to know how you like the script and what could be improved. The shadow/light thing wont change much in the end so tell me now what you dont like

The script itself is pretty much sell-explanatory so go ahead and render some planets I suggest using a black background layer for better results or even better a starfield. You would find my starfield script here.

Be warned that if you have a slow comp, this could take a bit. In addition please be sure to have the image about twice as big as the planet you want to render, because the planet is rendered twice the size you enter and scaled down for better results and I simply havent tested what happens if you dont do this. Though I guess the rendered planet could end up outside the image. This will be taken care of in the next release.

Again, please be aware that this is a beta release

If you choose to use a texture be sure that it is either seemless or the texture is twice the planet size you want to render.

You find the script in your Filters Menu at Sci-Fi/Add planet or moon. If you do not see the script, please read here, what you have to do.

Attached is an image with 3 rendered planets: Top left is a texture with an atmosphere, bottom left is without a custom texture and an atmosphere and the right one is a 'earth type' planet including an atmosphere and clouds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example with 3 planets.png 
Views:	1591 
Size:	700.7 KB 
ID:	7840  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice job Sage!

If I were to switch over to GIMP I would definitely use this.

Just out of curiosity, how many times do you run the "Spherize" (photoshop jargon) filter? I've found in most of the tutorials I've seen on the web and my own experience with it that running it twice seems to give better results. Was wondering if it was the same for GIMP?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Awesome!

You're right about the slower computers. I need more excuses to get a newer machine. *grin*

@SG
    Hmm if you mean by "Spherize" the step where you map the layer to a sphere than I'll do that once per layer. Using the map to sphere filter again on the same object would mess it up completly.

Though the map to object(sphere) filter aint perfect, thats why I render it twice the size you select, because when all is done I scale the object down by 50%. Looks much better, the only drawback is that it is more time consuming.

If you wanted to know how many layers I map to the sphere, that would be at least 1 if you use a texture and dont add an atmosphere or clouds nor bumping your texture or max 5 if you dont use a texture but choose two colors, add an atmosphere and clouds and bumping it.

@waystar
    Thank you very much

Yeah I thought that it would take some time on slower machines.
    My Map Challenge Entries

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Your first response answered my question.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

sagen, what filter are does this use to spherize the planets?

Whenever I make my planets I use Filters--> Light and Shadow --> Apply Lens, with a lens of 1.8.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Post Map to Object

The script uses the Filters -> Map -> map to object (Sphere) filter.
    My Map Challenge Entries

okay that works to, i just find that it works best for me to use the Apply Lens, as it keeps most of the detail most of the way I want it, without adding any light i dont want on it
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

You can deactivate the light when you use the map to object filter, thats what I do. Sure apply lens does something similar.
    My Map Challenge Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenlicht View Post
    You can deactivate the light when you use the map to object filter, thats what I do. Sure apply lens does something similar.

okay smarty

I have to pay attention to these things from now on...

heh, that also saves the ammount of time it takes to make a perfect circle roughly the size of your planet, which I keep having problems with... mostly cause i get it, let go of the mouse, and then the selectin is an oval

oh well, i like the look of the rocky planets this thing makes anyways